Dirty Fuel in a Disco 2

jules

While driving up to the Autosport show after filling up the night before in south west London the Disco was cruising in the high eighties when I lifted off for what I thought was a camera when I put the power back down there was nothing then my passanger said "whats wrong! look in you mirror jules were smoking loads" and it was a smog coming out the back.

Bugger

New Engine was the first thought...

anyway

pulled over to the hard sholder switched it off I jumped out my two passegers jumped out

anyway we got it running and the smoke cleared

we nursed it to the the show.

we got it recoverd home.

I stripped out the fuel pump to have look only to find the base of the pump (in take) is covered in a black tar which I cleaned up and the pump still screems and will not start the engine so I have ordered a new pump but before I fit it is there anything I need to know.

Yes I am going to drain and clean the tank.

And My two passengers were the driver and co-driver from the works Shogun in the BORC 04/05 so I didn't hear the end of the fact that they got a lift to the show in a Land Rover and only just got there <_< and kept getting should have bought a Mitubushi... :wacko:

I stripped out the fuel pump to have look only to find the base of the pump (in take) is covered in a black tar which I cleaned up and the pump still screems and will not start the engine so I have ordered a new pump but before I fit it is there anything I need to know.

Stop buying your fuel from the pikeys. :lol:

Chris

While driving up to the Autosport show after filling up the night before in south west London the Disco was cruising in the high eighties when I lifted off for what I thought was a camera when I put the power back down there was nothing then my passanger said "whats wrong! look in you mirror jules were smoking loads" and it was a smog coming out the back.

Bugger

New Engine was the first thought...

anyway

pulled over to the hard sholder switched it off I jumped out my two passegers jumped out

anyway we got it running and the smoke cleared

we nursed it to the the show.

we got it recoverd home.

Yes I am going to drain and clean the tank.

And My two passengers were the driver and co-driver from the works Shogun in the BORC 04/05 so I didn't hear the end of the fact that they got a lift to the show in a Land Rover and only just got there <_< and kept getting should have bought a Mitubushi... :wacko:

You have my deepest sympathy see my posts for my TD5 90 alos I think problems with carp fuel...

keep trying it seems to knock on to other probs and takes an age to sort out....

If only we had some recourse but how would we prove it was thier fuel?

Cheers

TD5Spain

it wont help much really but the coach company i work for had several coaches breakdown last year due to black gunge appearing in the fuel tanks. i 'think' its total that supply our fuel if that makes any difference? the general thoughts at work are you can get a 'bug' that infects the storage tanks that causes the gunge, no idea where this idea came from or if its true though.

it wont help much really but the coach company i work for had several coaches breakdown last year due to black gunge appearing in the fuel tanks. i 'think' its total that supply our fuel if that makes any difference? the general thoughts at work are you can get a 'bug' that infects the storage tanks that causes the gunge, no idea where this idea came from or if its true though.

Yep, there is a bug that eats diesel but its normally not a problem in cars as the fuels not arround for long enough. Sounds bizzarre but its a big issue with boats. IIRC there's something you can put into the fuel

MMMM Total thats a co-incidence...

Replaced the pump and filter and cleaned out the tank.

Primed up the pump etc etc

drove 100m down the road and she stopped :o

Sodding thing.

Tomorow I have a meeting in Cambridge so I wil be doing that run in my old RRC 3.9v8 my company are keen for me to get the disco fixid as I'm fueling up the RRC with my fuel card to drive to and from work.

Southampton to Uxbridge every day

Nothing to do with the dirty fuel :unsure:

The injection wiring harness is contaminated with oil its very common apparently :huh:

The replacement is only about £15 luckily (I would rather have known before I replaced the pump at £130 + vat) <_<

Anyone else had this…..

The oil in the tank was nothing to do with the problem but just as well I cleaned it all out anyway :huh: