Get your tape measures out

We went on a jolly last week up to sunny ( make that VERY sunny ) Wales and stumbled on the Strata Florida route by accident.  Nikki was driving so she got to drive it whilst I sat there flying the drone and being a very nervous technical navigator for her.

Anyway, I'm not looking for anyone to measure the Strata Florida route, but I did come up with a ' problem ' with my aux tank I fitted awhile ago in that it sits into the rear wheel arch space.  This wasn't an issue on the 7.50 tyres but now I have big boy tyres( or little if your @FridgeFreezer & @landroversforever 😁 ) the tyre was rubbing on the edge of the tank.

IMG_0332.thumb.jpeg.2ade648ef0dfe4d27b63a9b28ea0237a.jpeg

Now I bought the tank cheap...as you do, and I figured it was worth a punt for the money and I got it shoe horned into the rear arch space and just lined up but it sits forward of where I want it.  

I have 2 options, drop it out, drain it, wait a while and then cut the front section out and re weld it so it sits further back or buy one at full retail that is designed for the TDCI 110 set up.  

As for the tape measure, well I can only assume this tank is for a model where the filler cap sits a little further back in the rear quarter, so can you ( the greater LR4x4 members ) measure from the rear corner to the edge of the filler area and give me the measurements so I can ascertain what year/vehicle this would fit?

Mine's a 110 USW TDCI 2011 and the measurement is;  233mm IMG_0331.thumb.jpeg.de6870e147a8fdd9823ad8538591d062.jpeg

Ta 

Was the rubbing doing damage? Accepting that resizing the tank is a better option, would a 3mm rub plate work for the few times the wheel will hit the tank in normal use?

I did consider a rub plate as you say, I even measured out some 2mm alu to form along the contour of the tank and bend away slowly so as to not create the ' lip ' that the tyre hits when the shock compresses...it's a bit unnerving when you hear it even on bends when doing a left hander at speed ( I use the word speed loosely here )...but it'll come under the guise of ' bodge ' rather than ' fix ' :D

2 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Yes, I know, it doesn't feel right to have a temporary bodge, does it?

Only when the circumstances allow it to get you out of the brown stuff and we've all been there now and then !

6 hours ago, Badger110 said:

I have 2 options, drop it out, drain it, wait a while and then cut the front section out and re weld it so it sits further back

Why wait a while? It's only diesel, it's not going to do a hollywood explosion if you start welding it :P

Biggest issue will be getting it all clean enough that the weld ends up fuel-tight.

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Why wait a while? It's only diesel, it's not going to do a hollywood explosion if you start welding it :P

Biggest issue will be getting it all clean enough that the weld ends up fuel-tight.

It's the one reason I'm not keen on cutting it and re welding it.