Series 2a 200tdi Expansion tank ?

Cornish Rattler

Hi guys

Well yesterday me and a couple of mates went to Blackpool on a metal detecting trip and on the way back very close to home probably the last couple of miles i noticed and antifreeze smell and my temp gauge was close to hot so i quickly flicked the electric fan on and it helped a little bit then when we arrived home and looked under the bonnet we noticed the bottom rad hose had blown off 😣

And wondered why it have blown off then realised that my aftermarket header tank didn't have a vent and assumed that was the cause of it, i've noticed the supplier on ebay now sells them with a vent so if i was to get one where would the pipe go to once connected to the cap neck on the expansion tank, to another container or just to the floor.

This is what i'm running 

20210726_205815.jpg

20210726_205746.jpg

Edited by Cornish Rattler

I should think so, my 110 was a TD with the brass oval tank, I swapped it for the black plastic tank as shown in the first photo of the link above [thats my photo] it hasn't given me any problems, recently swapped it  to a white translucent tank so its easier to check the coolant level, [I still have the black tank, sat in my garage] 

4 minutes ago, western said:

I should think so, my 110 was a TD with the brass oval tank, I swapped it for the black plastic tank as shown in the first photo of the link above [thats my photo] it hasn't given me any problems, recently swapped it  to a white translucent tank so its easier to check the coolant level, [I still have the black tank, sat in my garage] 

Right i think i have a disco tank somewhere i will try and find it, 

Thanks Western 

14 hours ago, western said:

I couldn't find it so i've ordered a new clear disco one and cap and should be here by Saturday hopefully 👍

• Like 1

This is the result when metal fabricators get into the lucrative aftermarket aluminium car parts market without any engineering knowledge.  An expansion vessel with no pressure relief system could only have one result.  

The standard LR black tank, or the later translucent white version, is ideal as long as you have the space to fit it.  An aftermarket tank would work just as well if it has the required connections, capacity and a pressure relief cap, but is going to cost more.  You must ensure, whichever you use, that the tank is the highest part of the system.  On 300Tdis, the thermostat housing sits very high and this does often cause vapour locks if there is any blockage in the small pipes.

If you are going back to the 'normal' header tank, try and get a tranparent one - firtly they are less prone to splitting along the seems; secondly and most importantly, just lifting the bonnet allows you to see the cooalnt level.

52 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

If you are going back to the 'normal' header tank, try and get a tranparent one - firtly they are less prone to splitting along the seems; secondly and most importantly, just lifting the bonnet allows you to see the cooalnt level.

Yeah I think that is partially why I went the aftermarket way as I heared lots about the std plastic one splitting but I'm also annoyed at myself for not noticing it wasn't vented but like what's been said with a see through one you can see the level where I couldn't on the ally one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, western said:

the black plastic tanks have been known to split along the seams, but the translucent tanks seem to be fine.

I have heard that frequently.  The original black tank in my  95 Tdi RRC and the retro fit tank from 1990 Tdi Discovery that went into my 109 are both fine.  I wonder if it was a widespread batch fault, or just a lot of owners not adding enough antifreeze in winter.

14 hours ago, Snagger said:

I have heard that frequently.  The original black tank in my  95 Tdi RRC and the retro fit tank from 1990 Tdi Discovery that went into my 109 are both fine.  I wonder if it was a widespread batch fault, or just a lot of owners not adding enough antifreeze in winter.

Quote possible, my old black tank is OK, but I changed it to make checking levels easier.