Replacement front outer wings

I’m in need of two replacement outer front wing panels as mine are dented and will cost a fair bit to put right before paint.

I’m not keen on the plastic ones, and have come across an issue in that apparently 200Tdi and earlier types (i.e. with the air intake on the passenger side) are not available with the cutout for the side repeaters. I can cut these in easily enough but would rather not if I can avoid it.

Does anybody have any recommendations for or experience with replacement panels that won’t break the bank but are decent quality?

7 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Led TD5 ones ? 😁

Mo

You laugh but I don't know why you would chose to fit a standard bulb item to anything now if there is a decent LED alternative? I fitted the smoked version of these to my 90, both the amber version below and the smoked version look identical to the standard version, fit the same hole and have the same connector. Last years longer, are brighter and therefore more visible. Seems a no brainer to me!

https://bearmach.com/product/side-markers-ellilism/side-repeater-assembly-in-amber-led-suitable-for-defender-discovery-2-and-freelander-1-vehicles-only-use-in-pairs-xgb000030led/XGB000030LED

Or these LED clear lens ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231698206606

Rover MGF (and Discovery 200/300) wing indicators have the same smaller "square style" wing hole as Defender 200/300, but the Eblag item allows you to "upgrade" from the small square repeaters of those models to the larger Td5/Puma rectangular side repeater. The TD5/Puma ones aren't a direct fit in the earlier models as the Td5/Puma wing hole is much larger.

Edited by simonb

Hi Following this with great interest!

I have a outer front wing from BP (still in a box) waiting to be installed.
Been struggling a little to decide on painting it before or after assembling it, you recommend before?
Also been looking for some advice / instructions on how to dismantle and assemble the outer wing

without messing with to much of the rest of the wing, any ideas or suggestions?

Any Youtube clip that can be recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Definitely paint before assembly if possible as you’ll get a better finish at the joints.

The outer wing panel is held to the top panel by a row of bolts/spire-nuts and the same to the front. Bit of a faff to reach but doable.

Work I had to do make these fit properly included adjusting the flange angle as above, plus elongating the mounting holes on the bulkhead mating face. And of course cutting the hole for the side repeater.

DA317443-3D4F-4C33-BAC5-ADBBA54D35A0.thumb.jpeg.28e9dcad379c3c119e50437759a52793.jpeg

EB0D2CA5-2AC0-49F2-83F3-04ED301D68E1.thumb.jpeg.4e717ffbf4e56b21f6a5f046e5ce55da.jpeg

9 hours ago, HenrikSW said:

Hi Following this with great interest!

I have a outer front wing from BP (still in a box) waiting to be installed.
Been struggling a little to decide on painting it before or after assembling it, you recommend before?
Also been looking for some advice / instructions on how to dismantle and assemble the outer wing

without messing with to much of the rest of the wing, any ideas or suggestions?

Any Youtube clip that can be recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Both of my front outer panels are BP ones. My local indi kindly offered his body man's services to make them fit the Genuine top/Front panels I already had. they needed the bolt flanges folding over further and a couple of holes elongating.

1 hour ago, HenrikSW said:

Thanks, good advice!
This will be more of a winter project but good to start the preparations ASAP
Some people claim that the rear bolts (I assume towards the bulk head) are hard to reach, any tricks?

Wheel arch spats off gives you a gap to get a ratchet on them with some extension bars.