Trailer trial

Badger110

We sat in the woods a few weeks ago in Wales and decided that the weight being carried around in the truck was a fair bit ( Roof tent + dormobile, food, alcohol etc ).  Also wanting to go around we were packing up and driving about to come back and reset camp we figured it would be good to try a trailer set up to see if it'll suit our needs for now and the future.

We sold the caravan and bought a trailer built on a Sankey.

BC67224F-FF6F-4AE2-A8E4-B574AC663CA4.thumb.jpeg.c121fe21cb18a35e94ffa122f894785b.jpeg0F354C02-B704-4DB3-A110-C0D4DD16E346.thumb.jpeg.0277bbb0a24d94facc79fa2f616929eb.jpeg

Having a look around this one was complete at a decent price for what it came with.

On top is a Howling Moon stargazer 1.8 tent with full porch and a HM 270 awning.

It has an onboard water tank, battery, solar panel, fuel tanks and tons of storage.

The front A frame hitch has been dropped as the previous owner was running a NAS rear bumper, but this works for me as I would like to fit a rear winch to the truck in the future, so the standard NATO receiver will be low enough not to foul this.

The chap who had it before me did a full refurb on the brakes and frame and spent some time and money getting it to where it is and although I will be ripping it apart  adjusting it in the near future, we're going to spend the next few weeks getting used to the idea of it.

I'll update as I go along :D

• Like 4

Looks well built. I'll gloss over the hitch mod implications. I like the ability to leave the tent set up and go exploring. We're on our second camping trailer the first was great but we changed direction. The current is just a Sankey, ply lined with a battery system and lid.

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arjan said:

Interesting....

You have any paint left......

Matching would be nice

We have thought of that, however if it doesn’t work out for us then the resell could be hampered by it being bright green!

On that basis it’s staying as it is for the time being 😁

The trailer did well on it's maiden voyage with us.

Firstly it's a doddle to tow, as Sankeys usually are, and other than bad positioning of reversing lights and running lights, there's nothing to change in that sense.

I quickly took the CF30 fridge from the truck and fitted it into the trailer for this trip but didn't take into account the power required for it.

Finally fitting the fridge in the evening before the trip, we loaded it up and switched it on through the night so that took a fair chunk of battery power, then we were experiencing cloudy rainy days which didn't allow the battery to recover that well...but it ran the fridge at 12.3v for the 4 days we were out.

I will look to fit an secondary towing plug so I can charge the battery whilst towing as the truck has the alternator plug fitted and I will look at the solar panel as it's a cheap Ebay jobby, a possible upgrade there.

The tent is great, plenty of room and if you know roof tents then you know they're good at what they do.  this one has the extended front so you don't get wet getting in and out which was a god send this week as it Mildly miffed down 90% of the time!

A few niggly bits...the rail fall off from the tent drips onto the kitchen area and lack of general lighting, both these I will look into.

Other than that, it was nice to be able to not worry much about weight in the truck

• Like 3

On 8/4/2021 at 8:07 PM, Badger110 said:

We sat in the woods a few weeks ago in Wales and decided that the weight being carried around in the truck was a fair bit ( Roof tent + dormobile, food, alcohol etc ).

How much alcohol are we talking about?!

I've always liked the idea of one of these as it means less modification to the car and no need to go full expedition spec for the trip to Tesco.

Really interested in how you get on with it.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 11:00 AM, ThreePointFive said:

How much alcohol are we talking about?!

I've always liked the idea of one of these as it means less modification to the car and no need to go full expedition spec for the trip to Tesco.

Really interested in how you get on with it.

We have been known to consume quite abit :D

We are under a similar thought process and looking for something that is easily taken with us across Russia and Asia without the added weight to the main vehicle.

Unfortunately, the truck is playing up at the moment so this week I had off to work on the trailer has been spent on the truck...but that's just typical LR ownership!

On 8/9/2021 at 9:06 AM, Arjan said:

Souonds good !

Any pics of the trailer / tent in action ?

Unfortunately not, the weather in Wales was, shall we say, a tad wet and too wet to fly the drone which is my main camera at the moment.

I will get some sorted soon so it can be seen in it's natural environment :D

22 hours ago, Badger110 said:

We are under a similar thought process and looking for something that is easily taken with us across Russia and Asia without the added weight to the main vehicle.

It might be worth looking into trailer IVA and then registration for the trailer because when I went Russia we were told they don't understand that British trailers don't have their own registration and have been known to not let them in.

Mike

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

It might be worth looking into trailer IVA and then registration for the trailer because when I went Russia we were told they don't understand that British trailers don't have their own registration and have been known to not let them in.

Mike

That's useful to know, I'll look into it 

Cheers