which diagnostic/fault-code tool? P38 and generic

Hi folks.

I'm clueless with this one, so any help would be very welcome.

For his birthday, my Dad wants a simple-to-use diagnostic tool. He has an immaculate 1999/2000 P38 4.6 vogue... and he also has a 51 plate transit-based camper.

Can anyone suggest a tool that could plug into primarily the Range Rover, but ideally with connectors available to use on the transit too?

Looking in the region of £100, so Hawkeyes and Nanocoms are our unfortunately and neitherr would work with the transit. an icarsoft might work if I can understand their naming connvention.

Ideal would be full reading and resetting, but will take what I can find,

Thank you.

Edited by twodoorgaz

I don't think you'll be able to get what you ask.

Any 20 pound OBD will talk to both but it will do not a lot with either.

To really be able to do something "brain wise" you'll need a dedicated computer.

• Like 1

... Arjan has it in a nutshell I'm afraid, you will get some interest out of the generic OBD readers, but fot the P38 in particular there is only really the Nanocom, a shame because the customer service is patchy. Although one of the V8s apparently talks to OBD, but I can't remember which one, I presume the earlier version.

Maybe find out on a transit forum which is best for that and see how far you can get with the RR as a bonus?

I bought the Icarsoft in March for all my Land Rover's and it works to a point but ill not work on anything other than Land Rovers and Jaguars. 

I have issues with my P38 and need to get something a little more capable to get the ECU talking to the BeCM I think I will use that as an excuse to get the Nanocom for the P38 so I can add to it later for my other cars.

It is extremely annoying that these cars all require a different computer to really talk to the ECU's etc, other than general chatter about the weather. i have a perfectly good Santa Fe here sitting in the Garden that died and without the full Hyundai software we're not getting anywhere. And Hyundai FR only wants to sell a new car so don't give a s..t

Modern cars....

3 hours ago, Arjan said:

It is extremely annoying that these cars all require a different computer to really talk to the ECU's etc, other than general chatter about the weather. i have a perfectly good Santa Fe here sitting in the Garden that died and without the full Hyundai software we're not getting anywhere. And Hyundai FR only wants to sell a new car so don't give a s..t

Modern cars....

I have a launch X431 Pad II - has been great on JLR/BMW/Audi etc but where it does fall down a bit is the Korean stuff. Fairly dead Hyundai i800 that I am struggling to get any useful data out of

I posted this elsewhere but, my 04 Clio lost a cylinder on the motorway so called RAC. They used their expensive computer and found zero codes. Once back home I decided to try my £10 Chinese code reader and found the coil pack error code.

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

I posted this elsewhere but, my 04 Clio lost a cylinder on the motorway so called RAC. They used their expensive computer and found zero codes. Once back home I decided to try my £10 Chinese code reader and found the coil pack error code.

That is a bit of a shocker tbh! The engine management codes are the only ones that should be able to be found on all diagnostics

On 8/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, Blanco said:

... Arjan has it in a nutshell I'm afraid, you will get some interest out of the generic OBD readers, but fot the P38 in particular there is only really the Nanocom, a shame because the customer service is patchy. Although one of the V8s apparently talks to OBD, but I can't remember which one, I presume the earlier version.

Both the GEMS and Thor talk OBD, the Thor a bit more detailed.

For £100 I don't think you'll find anything that can do detailed work on both.