New use for a grease gun......

Arjan

I learned something this weekend from a true engineer !

A grease gun can actually push out even real stubborn pistons....

afbeelding.png.15fdeba36afba1cc6cd91511600110e0.png

Merci Beaucoup Taurion !!!!

• Like 2

• Arjan changed the title to New use for a grease gun......
3 hours ago, Arjan said:

This reminds me to push the pistons out on the 110 before I start disconnecting brake pipes. Was a nightmare on the 90 - I had to resort to welding bolts to them!!

Nice tip, I'm starting to get a collection of these tips brake piston removal tips. :)

Depending on the size of the piston you can place a socket in it and then place a 1/2 drive next to the socket and it will jam up allowing you to twist the piston out ..... also for motorbike size brake piston you can get a slide hammer kit for a few pennies.

Tried that before on a set of calipers, I am sure it will work for some, but not in my case...

In the end I stuck an old bolt in the centre of it and turned the welder up to eleventy and welded it to the piston. After grabbing it with a pair of mole grips, the piston soon gave up the fight, and I topped up my tan a little at the same time 😛 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Tried that before on a set of calipers, I am sure it will work for some, but not in my case...

In the end I stuck an old bolt in the centre of it and turned the welder up to eleventy and welded it to the piston. After grabbing it with a pair of mole grips, the piston soon gave up the fight, and I topped up my tan a little at the same time 😛 

my exact experience to date!!

20 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Hardly surprising when you consider they are used to tension several tonnes of excavator track :P

Blew me away when I first learnt to do this on a 22T machine...to this day I still believe an alternative universal force is at play :P

• Haha 2

On 8/9/2021 at 8:21 PM, Arjan said:

Use a lever style grease gun they have a higher pressure... I think the good ones get to 1500psi 

16 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Get yourself a Wanner and have at it!

Never heard of them... did a google search, 8 and half thousand PSI on a pistol grip grease gun lol I stand corrected that is a beast of a grease gun! 
Now to find some one who will ship one to New Zealand lol 

1 hour ago, De Ranged said:

Never heard of them... did a google search, 8 and half thousand PSI on a pistol grip grease gun lol I stand corrected that is a beast of a grease gun! 
Now to find some one who will ship one to New Zealand lol

We picked up a couple from the local scrapyard for pennies because the name was amusing, but they've since become something of a workshop favourite for obvious reasons.