Highland trip

Anderzander

6 hours ago, bishbosh said:

Looks lovely. What's the midge situation like?

We aren’t into full midge country yet … in the Trossachs at the moment - my daughter is in the river with her net.

4D04C2F5-DE7A-46F1-9163-0AA7870B4A0B.thumb.jpeg.8e381307db9b1216429909812efb9c56.jpeg

Drove one of the open Forestry gravel roads in Gallashields Forest Park this morning - 10 miles long. 

3DC91D13-9B00-47C6-8BF0-539037205E40.thumb.jpeg.eb345e183cea1613fede4b0cd36d934c.jpeg

No pictures of the best bits - but this is part way along it.

14016038-5FF7-4C96-9654-8148F5A885EB.thumb.jpeg.9f7f75643d00c4d4c1362ff1ee73d774.jpeg

We are struggling to find camping spots at the moment - they further up we go the more they seem booked up - or on a first come first served… and I don’t fancy driving hours to find out somewhere is full.. 🤔

Staying near Applecross this next stop. Near Strontium tonight.

Photo from on the way up to Shieldaig where were are camped at the moment. Amazing place.

2B62F7A8-6B5B-48EA-9A3E-39B0A99DB08A.thumb.jpeg.dad37512199b93b7bf37de185c22414b.jpeg

So many breathtaking views that the camera won’t capture because of the scale. 

I loved the road from Strontian, via Glenuig, to Glenfinnan. I thought it would be all about the highlands - but the islands and coasts are astonishing.

• Like 1

I was up there a couple of weeks ago, Skye and the northern Nc500 route, amazing scenery.  If you pass through Fort William go to the Rain bakery and bring me back some Cruffins 🤤 may be the best thing I've ever eaten.

Got done a treat by the midges - popped out of the tent in the altogether to have a quick midnight pee in a bush, thinking by the time they've noticed I'll be back inside. Counted 120 bites the next day 😖

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Photo from on the way up to Shieldaig where were are camped at the moment. Amazing place.

2B62F7A8-6B5B-48EA-9A3E-39B0A99DB08A.thumb.jpeg.dad37512199b93b7bf37de185c22414b.jpeg

So many breathtaking views that the camera won’t capture because of the scale. 

I loved the road from Strontian, via Glenuig, to Glenfinnan. I thought it would be all about the highlands - but the islands and coasts are astonishing.

Shieldaig is stunning are you staying at the free spot in the centre of the village, we would move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the midges. If your heading up past  Gairloch there is a spot where you can wild camp for a fiver a night it's more of less on the beach, to find it to through Gairloch to a small place called Portewe, driving through the village there is a turn off on your left, if you follow that goes couple of miles the camping spot will be on your left its pretty obvious, there is an honesty box at the entrance. If you follow the road to its end there are some old Russian gun emplacments from the second world war you can wander around regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 12:39 AM, Anderzander said:

We are struggling to find camping spots at the moment - they further up we go the more they seem booked up - or on a first come first served… and I don’t fancy driving hours to find out somewhere is full.. 🤔

Staying near Applecross this next stop. Near Strontium tonight.

I know a wee wild camping spot just south of Lochinver, send me a message and I'll point you in the right direction. It's by a loch with some excellent brown trout and far from the maddening crowds.

Edited by paime

5 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Shieldaig is stunning are you staying at the free spot in the centre of the village, we would move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the midges. If your heading up past  Gairloch there is a spot where you can wild camp for a fiver a night it's more of less on the beach, to find it to through Gairloch to a small place called Portewe, driving through the village there is a turn off on your left, if you follow that goes couple of miles the camping spot will be on your left its pretty obvious, there is an honesty box at the entrance. If you follow the road to its end there are some old Russian gun emplacments from the second world war you can wander around regards Stephen

Thank you - we are up on the camp site at the top of the village. I’m not normally a fan of campsites, but it’s wonderful ! 

I’ll plot that spot on my map - we were wondering where to go next. 

We have had two trips to Argyll & Bute (October last year and then recently). The coast is beautiful all the way up. By the time you are at southern side of Torridon (where you were at Sheldaig I think?), the mountains are huge lumps and they start at sea level - so vertical gain is large if you are walking up!

Best advice is - don't rush. 

I hope you get the lights sorted.

We started to struggle to find pitches as well recently as I'd booked nothing and had no idea where I was heading next, but everywhere booked up, seemed to get worse the further north we went.  We did find a really, really nice spot a little further north than where you are - Gruinard Bay camping just past Aultbee which for some reason wasn't full and right on a stunning beach with ace rockpools, seals bobbing about and stunning moutains across the bay.

• Thanks 1

Lights are sorted tonight - whilst under onslaught from midges sadly.

The fault was with the relays - not sure what, but it meant I was able to just unplug them and go back to original. I can sort it when I’m home with a multimeter.

The plan is to keep going North - the midges are making me hesitate a bit though.

However - not that much further before we are over the top and onto the east coast.