How Much Of Your Defender is Original ?

JeffR

So I was ordering some parts for my Defender and the usual question came up "what year is it ?" the usual answer is "what part?" My Defender left the factory  in 1983 (ish) and has been with us for 23/4 years. In that time period the only bits that haven't been changed/modified/upgraded are the shell , engine, gearbox and front axle. 

George Washingtons axe hasn't got a look in...

So does anyone have a factory spec truck?

My '89 110 CSW would have fallen foul of the DVLA identity rules, except that the changes took place over many years!

Chassis replaced

Engine replaced in 2006 and heavy rebuild in 2019

rear axle replaced (twice)

Gearbox replaced (twice)

Roof replaced

All brakes changed at least twice, except the transmission brake which is now an X-brake and has had nothing done to it in 10 years.

All doors replaced, the safari door three times. The other 4 need changing again

All lights replaced

Loom replaced

The bulkhead was repaired, it will be replaced next!

The bits I know to be original are the instrument binnacle, although the shroud has been changed, the transfer box and the front axle. Everything else? Probably! And not just by me; there were owners before me.

15 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

My '89 110 CSW would have fallen foul of the DVLA identity rules, except that the changes took place over many years!

Chassis replaced

Engine replaced

rear axle replaced (twice)

Gearbox replaced 

Roof replaced

All brakes changed at least twice, except the transmission brake which is now an X-brake and has had nothing done to it in 10 years.

All doors replaced, the safari door three times. The other 4 need changing again

All lights replaced

Loom replaced

The bulkhead was repaired, it will be replaced next!

The bits I know to be original are the instrument binnacle, although the shroud has been changed, the transfer box and the front axle. Everything else? Probably! And not just by me; there were owners before me.

Trigger's broom?

Not Def but S2a, it started life as a 1970 late 2a 88" 2.25P, and is still carrying it's original tub and roof but has had all doors, roof sides, bulkhead and chassis have been replaced, engine was replaced with a Def 200tdi but re-dressed as a Disco 200tdi, i replaced the transfer box with an Ashcroft HRTC but later swapped it back to a std transfer box, diffs are Disco/Def diffs and has Parabolic springs and Zeus disc brakes all round 😃

Edited by Cornish Rattler

The only non-oriiginal bits on my 90TD5 are the exhaust [rotted at the flange between the front and rear boxes - both replaced with standard-spec parts], the brake calipers [pistons seized after about 10 years; new genuine Delphi parts were cheap]  and the front bumper [got bent; replaced by a standard-pattern one, albeit galvanized].

Tyres - now running road-pattern 235/85 in place of the no-longer-available 750-16 Avon Rangemasters it came with.  Oh yes, the shock-absorbers too; the originals got swapped for Bilsteins about 10 years ago.

The rest is entirely unmolested.  I like my vehicles to be unobtrusive and reliable.

5 hours ago, SPendrey said:

Trigger's broom?

It's been said before - but doesn't quite capture the full horror of the situation. 

Bought March 2005 with 147,000 on the clock. It had been tarted up about 4 years previously before being bought by the vendor. 

2006, 200Tdi added

June 2008 big rebuild commences, LR at 190,000 miles

July 2011 rebuild finished, still at 190,000

August 2011, back axle changed again

June 2014, passed 250,000

August 2021 passed 360,000

• 1 month later...

I have a started with a 1989 2.5td pickup

then it got a galv chassis from a 300tdi and mountings changed to accept a 4.2 V8 thats machined to take GEMS sensors and GEMS ECU mated to a discovery 2 Auto box, pushing disco 2 axles. 

Body work believe it or not still has its original tub, 2005 bulkhead galvanized, 1990 county sides, 2007 county roof, heated windscreen and frame from 1999, 2016 front and rear doors, 2010 puma bonnet. 2004 seatbox, new exmoor seats to fit along with a puma dash

Sprayed it nardo grey and didnt like to got it all vapour blasted and painted it firenze red and santorini black roof

definitely a runner for the triggers brush award 

To buck the trend here...

My last 3 or 4 Defenders were bought by me brand new and traded in after 4 years back in original condition having had any additional equipment removed.

I kept the last 110 Puma XS CSW for only two years as I got totally brassed off with the yo yo-ing back and forth to the dealer's who seemed incapable of rectifying obvious faults followed by a change of policy regarding courtesy vehicles. What should have been a vehicle that I planned to keep a long time turned into a chore to own so it went and was replaced by a 3.2 Auto Ranger which did the job without issue. That vehicle has just been replaced by a new Isuzu D Max V Cross and it's a nice place to be.

Years ago my Land Rovers were older so I had no qualms about chopping and changing stuff. If I stay in remission and find a sensibly priced Series in mainly original condition I will probably treat it the same as the ones I owned decades ago but don't plan on returning on laying in the dirt fettling and repairing day to day vehicles at gone midnight as I need it for a job the next day. Those days are gone.