Electric RangeRover Conversion

zardos

17 minutes ago, missingsid said:

Because at some point you won't be able to run ICE classics. As much as I love my S1 with a V8, I would rather have it Electric than non running at all.

Sure you will, just like you can still ride or horse or run a steam engine. 😉

• Like 1

I very much doubt that, certainly not in our lifetime. Regulations will become stricter no doubt, with ever expanding LEZs etc. But I don't expect a complete ban. And if they keep pushing EVs (an somehow manage to get the power production and distribution to match), demand for petrol/diesel will decrease and so supplies will last a lot longer and prices should stabilize somewhat.

I'm not saying we'll be able to commute to work in our S1 V8, Lotus Esprit, <insert car of choice>, not without increasing expense and difficulties. But we should be able to enjoy them as a fun means of transport in our own time.

I don't really see the appeal of converting a classic to electrical. It's just too much of a compromise: there will be nothing of the original controls left, no need to shift gears or carefully adjust the choke for an easy start and nice idle, no sound of a V8 springing to life, no smell of hot oil and exhaust etc. And will you keep (fake) analogue dials or just glue an Ipad to the dash? You'll need one anyway to control the elektrickery...
On the other hand you'll never get the benefits of a purpose built EV if you keep the old chassis and suspension etc. 

IMHO it would make more sense to take a platform from an I-pace or similar and replace the body with something looking like a Range Rover Classic if you just want the looks but not the driving experience. 

Filip

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

Because at some point you won't be able to run ICE classics. As much as I love my S1 with a V8, I would rather have it Electric than non running at all.

Noooo. No Character, no beating heart. Might as well just get yourself a Tesla  Milk float ☹️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, missingsid said:

In truth offloading will probably be banned before petrol is unavailable.

Probably right there ! Before that though, we will only be allowed something like a Picanto/Aygo/Smart car type thing anyway.

This will be the next vehicle I plan on buying:

https://www.citroen.co.uk/models/future-models/ami.html

(Note: 'plan', it is likely I will buy many in between)

But most of my miles are within a very short distance, < 8 miles, and something like this will do everything I would need it do. Plus, my son when old enough will be able to drive it and it will be ideal for him to go to and from college etc.

That will leave me with my 'fun' cars that aren't being ruined by short journeys

Really ? The only benefits of these as far as I can see is that they are quieter (for a while) and accelerate faster (for a while)

Where do I even start with this ? So I wont bother.

No way would I take one of these anywhere off piste, or away from civilisation. ESPECIALLY in winter

I did however like the series 2 door hinges and mirrors, and I would bet that the mirrors were put on in a futile effort to decrease drag and increase range.

Presenter is particularly annoying.

On 8/23/2021 at 8:18 AM, Escape said:

Sure you will, just like you can still ride or horse or run a steam engine. 😉

I agree. I think the demonisation of petrol and diesel will continue until the majority of cars are electric, then they will see the odd few on the road as irrelevant (they'll be too busy demonising gas boilers and other things). Then I think they'll just leave us alone seeing people who choose to run classic vehicles as just odd little chaps with funny hobbies (some people already put me in this category).

I'm sure the cost of fuel will rise dramatically though and maybe it will be a synthetic fuel. Kind of like you can buy smokeless coal and you could in theory run your steam engine off it. 

2 minutes ago, monkie said:

Then I think they'll just leave us alone seeing people who choose to run classic vehicles as just odd little chaps with funny hobbies (some people already put me in this category).

By that time most of us will have probably kicked the bucket or sat in comfy chair being hand fed and reminiscing about the good old days regards Stephen 

6 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

By that time most of us will have probably kicked the bucket or sat in comfy chair being hand fed and reminiscing about the good old days regards Stephen 

Maybe, but I think this is really picking up pace and will happen faster than we realise. 

3 hours ago, monkie said:

I agree. I think the demonisation of petrol and diesel will continue until the majority of cars are electric, then they will see the odd few on the road as irrelevant (they'll be too busy demonising gas boilers and other things). Then I think they'll just leave us alone seeing people who choose to run classic vehicles as just odd little chaps with funny hobbies (some people already put me in this category).

I'm sure the cost of fuel will rise dramatically though and maybe it will be a synthetic fuel. Kind of like you can buy smokeless coal and you could in theory run your steam engine off it. 

Synthetic low emissions fuel is Porsche’s gambit.  I hope it works.  But I’m not so sure about your expectations that ICE vehicles will be accepted in the distant future.  Most people don’t buy into the green fervour, but the loud voices that get all the attention and capitulation are on the radical green side, and politics these days seems to be controlled by the most hysterical claims, not the most rational or reasonable, and those seeking to control things never seem to be willing to compromise.  I really hope you’re right, though.

I think people are increasingly waking up to the facts and we've got to change. The evidence that we can't carry on as we are is overwhelming in terms of air quality and climate change. But in terms of people accepting a small number of ICE powered classics in the future I think it will be a bit like attitude to steam trains. In the 60s as they were being replaced with diesel and electric alternatives; they were considered by many to be dirty, smelly inefficient relics of the victorian age and had to go. These days however now with a few preserved ones running on heritage lines or mainline tours draw in crowds of people who love them again. I think there are many parallels here with attitudes towards both steam engines and internal combustion engines.