Gearbox spline repair

Eightpot

In the midst of my Rangie ambulance resto, pulled the gearbox out and noticed much slack on the output shaft and lots of red sludge.   Pity, as the gearbox is otherwise tip top and I don't have the funds to splash on a refurbed one. 

So a cheap bodge seemed in order - the splines in the replacement cross drilled input gears are extended and cover the remaining good bit on the r380 shaft, but nice to have a bit extra material to take the strain, so had a go at building the splines up with weld.  

Need to use only moderate power so the bead sits on top rather than going for full melty penetration, and do one spline at a time so you can file back and test slide the new gear on/off and also to avoid putting too much heat into the shaft.   

20210818_153754.jpg

20210820_181254.jpg

Nice job.. I did this to my present LT77 box and has been ok for a couple of years now, I machined cutting edges into the cross drilled gear and knocked it on with a copper hammer after every build up of weld to shave the excess off, it will get replaced when I am ready to install my Mog axles regards Stephen

Forgot to add the splines were missing completely at the time..............

Edited by Stellaghost