Aluminium roll cage ????

Stellaghost

I have sufficient aluminium scaffolding poles to make a roll cage for my lightweight, will most likely need more bracing, it's also something I'm not going to start just yet , so this is more fact finding at present ( and of course I will have to improve my tig  welding skills). What's your thoughts on this guys regards Stephen 

Aluminium roll cages went out with the Group B rally cars, where they were deemed unsafe, by the time you have braced them enough a CRS tube will likely be very similar weight.

Fun fact -there are rumours that some of the cages in Group B were painted cardboard tube in some sections, where the teams 'decided' they didn't want to do as they were told, but didn't want to contravene the rules, at least in appearance(!)

In motorsport there is no such thing as an aluminium 'roll cage'. They just don't provide sufficient roll over protection. That said, if you are fitting just for a styling exercise, I guess it doesn't really do any harm. And the roll over protection of a standard lightweight is rather limited. So while aluminium tubing isn't a good material, it may still offer a minor enhancement on a gentle roll over. I guess the bigger question would be if it posed a danger on a more serious accident vs not having it.

Yet close to where I live a guy called Redpath has an Ibex with an aluminium roll cage and he has competed in the rain forest challenge etc, it's kind of where I got the idea from a few years ago also I believe it incorporates his snorkel as well regards Stephen

• Like 1

The ibex you refer to is not compliant with msuk regs. But the aluminium bars are not his cage either. An ibex has a more robust roof/body structure that ibex claim gives roll over protection. But does not meet Uk motor sports regs. He has the aluminium bars (I believe) to act as anti rub bars against trees etc to save the body.

At the end of the day to properly weld aluminium structurally take £££ kit and a lot of skill. Just stick with steel where you can use more readily available welding equipment and skill sets.

Edited by B reg 90
  • Like 1

I would be concerned  about the ability of the ali tube to resist localised impacts - it would have to be pretty thick walled I would think. Yes you can design an ali cage to work as a roll cage but the local impacts from tree branches etc would still concern me.

Given the value of ali I would sell it and buy some CDS.

Then there's the challenge of bending ali tube - that will work harden like a b@st@rd which introduces yet more potential problems.

12 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

I have sufficient aluminium scaffolding poles to make a roll cage for my lightweight, will most likely need more bracing, it's also something I'm not going to start just yet , so this is more fact finding at present ( and of course I will have to improve my tig  welding skills). What's your thoughts on this guys regards Stephen 

So my thoughts.

All above comments above are extremely valid, especially if you intend to compete in any form.... but to be used non competition event, then I would say why not, in a roll over scenario, I good thought-out well constructed Aluminium frame is going to be way better than nothing at all in my opinion.

Looking at the comments, a non coded welder is going to struggle to weld a cage made by a non professional who will struggle to form it? This comment is not based on the original posters abilities just the statements above.

TTi's is without even considering if the tube is suitable for the job in the first place.

My observation only.

18 hours ago, B reg 90 said:

The ibex you refer to is not compliant with msuk regs. But the aluminium bars are not his cage either. An ibex has a more robust roof/body structure that ibex claim gives roll over protection. But does not meet Uk motor sports regs. He has the aluminium bars (I believe) to act as anti rub bars against trees etc to save the body.

I can absolutely guarantee the ibex structure is right up there with a cage for roll over protection. There have been at least 3 ibex rolls both end over and side over (granted all were relitively slow), all were driven home with only broken glass and minor dents.

Below is the main hoop on ibex up to F8 (the F8 is built differently but just as strong).

ibex_009.jpg.56e544e5cab61cad5903b9aea8ef2842.jpg

IMAG0500.jpg.bb6a1c2fa3efe4062df9094eb711c134.jpg

As said it's not motorsport compliant. From memory @MogLite had Ali rub bars on his ibex but again non structural.

Mike

My steel welding is way better than my aluminium and my existing self made internal roll cage has done its job several times............

Think I will park this idea up and put it down to having a senior moment.....

Thanks for all the reply guys regards Stephen

• Like 1