Black Box Mystery

GeorgetheLandy

Hello All,

I was recently browsing that addictive auction site and won a bid on this mystery black box.  I looked in the parts catalogue for Land Rover Series but could not find it.  I will continue to research and try to identify its part number or even if it is an authentic part.  The person I bought it from said that it came with his 109 S2 and that he seems to recall it being located in the engine bay somewhere.  Does anyone know more about this mystery black box?  It looks authentic but it could easily have been made using Landy parts…

Thoughts and thanks.

G

7C703A5F-4FE2-4EA4-A2A3-EC367C71D54B.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Here we go:

https://www.bits4landys.co.uk/s2_under_bonnet_toolbox.htm

Presumably you would mount it the other side ;)

Okay, thanks!  Mystery solved.  I may let my youngest do a little restoration job on it for me and use it for tools then.  I have a great tool roll that will fit in there.

Thanks for your help again…

G

I don't know how much you have paid, but judging from the small information you have the vendor didn't 'sell' it very well, so it's probable you have done well. Especially as the advert says Bits4Landys are out of stock.

I'll attach some pictures of one installed, in the UK, but don't ignore the details in the advert; the passenger side wing will have to come off to install the box.
Another relevant comment I have on file is "Don't know about fitting one but the lid is fairly easy to get on and off when the box is in position.
My 109 2A and S2B FC , both ex military, had them fitted. I do not know whether it is normal but both of mine were not waterproof. The water channel at the rear of the bonnet dumps its contents onto the boxes and some used to get inside.".

Regards.

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Sparkes said:

I do not know whether it is normal but both of mine were not waterproof. The water channel at the rear of the bonnet dumps its contents onto the boxes and some used to get inside.

I drilled some drainage holes in my S3 one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Sparkes said:

I don't know how much you have paid, but judging from the small information you have the vendor didn't 'sell' it very well, so it's probable you have done well. Especially as the advert says Bits4Landys are out of stock.

I'll attach some pictures of one installed, in the UK, but don't ignore the details in the advert; the passenger side wing will have to come off to install the box.
Another relevant comment I have on file is "Don't know about fitting one but the lid is fairly easy to get on and off when the box is in position.
My 109 2A and S2B FC , both ex military, had them fitted. I do not know whether it is normal but both of mine were not waterproof. The water channel at the rear of the bonnet dumps its contents onto the boxes and some used to get inside.".

Regards.

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

Thanks for the information.  This is helpful.  I paid $66.00, so not bad as I have never seen one of these anywhere.  
Thanks again.

G

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

I drilled some drainage holes in my S3 one!

Thanks fir the heads up.  I have been thinking about how I better manage the water flow off the drip strip under the bonnet and may devise a cunning plan to redirect down and out of the engine bay.  Thanks again for all the advice, this forum is so helpful and TLR Wally great to be part of.

Sincerely

G