Front axles what fits what

JeffR

So the serious work has started on my defender, didn't intend it to be serious, but that's how the cookies crumble.  The swivel balls are probably past their best , (well lets be honest  cattle trucked is the technical description) ditto track rod ends, drop arm ball joint, and possibly brake callipers (three hours to remove the pads - its been stood a while), so quite a few expensive bits to replace/repair/ smack with lump hammer in bad temper.

Now in my garage is an absolutely mint late model Discovery 1 300 Tdi front axle.... can you see where this is going yet?

What are the differences between the axles, are they a straight swap, if not was contemplating just unbolting the axle ends/swivel hubs from one and bolting em on to the other. I know the spring plates are different, but thats an easy job.

Edited by JeffR

32 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

What age is your Defender?

Nominally 1985, well some of it.... actually the front axle is original to the vehicle as far as I'm aware (only owned for 23 years)

Edited by JeffR

So in that case the Disxo axle casing will have wider radius arm brackets, so not a straight swap. If have the arms off the disco you can use those as well though and that will work, the chassis end is the same. Panhard rod should be the same.

The disco axle will probably have different calipers (twin circuit) but you’re probably best replacing those anyway.

Yes you can fit a disco axle but as retro says you'll need the radius arms to fit the axle. Panhard rod is fine as far as I know. Calipers are different and you will need 110 calipers (I believe they are the same on very late disco). You'll need to swap both the steering arms to the defender style or swap the drop arm on the steering box to disco.

Mike

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Yes you can fit a disco axle but as retro says you'll need the radius arms to fit the axle. Panhard rod is fine as far as I know. Calipers are different and you will need 110 calipers (I believe they are the same on very late disco). You'll need to swap both the steering arms to the defender style or swap the drop arm on the steering box to disco.

Mike

Axle was sans arms when I got it, so ..... Callipers on old axle look fine.

Useless bit of info for everyone, axles is effing heavy to be shifting about on ones onesome, don't ask me how `i found that out.

8 hours ago, JeffR said:

Cheers chaps, Anderzander I think they are the same, how much would sir like

Have them for free - I’ve two pairs sat doing nothing. One has new bushes in too I think. Just need to work out how to get them to you 🙂

15 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Between Preston and Blackpool.

I’ll pull them out this evening - can share a pic if you’d like? 

They'll be fine. Was considering shimming out the old ones with bits of plate, then sensibility prevailed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

Are Disco1 300Tdi axles metric or imperial? If they are imperial then the axle bolts for the dual line caliper will be too small diameter for the single line 90/110 calipers as they are metric m12.

about to find out....

16 hours ago, missingsid said:

Are Disco1 300Tdi axles metric or imperial? If they are imperial then the axle bolts for the dual line caliper will be too small diameter for the single line 90/110 calipers as they are metric m12.

Had a root about in the spares boxes (OK the pile of stuff the wife calls junk that takes up half the garage) and the callipers than came with the axle were ...... single line. Seized to buggery but probably fixable

1 minute ago, JeffR said:

Had a root about in the spares boxes (OK the pile of stuff the wife calls junk that takes up half the garage) and the callipers than came with the axle were ...... single line. Seized to buggery but probably fixable

That makes sense as I thought Tdi was metric but dual line is imperial.

Blue box calipers are so cheap but if you are good at putting new seals in then rebuilding will give you new LR ones.

Given the difference of the radius arms, I’d either get some replacement arms and fit the Discovery axle complete, or remove the swivels and diff from the axles and swap them onto the old axle casing so it fits the old radius arms.  The bolts should all be metric, I think.

If you have a 110, be wary of the Discovery brakes - I’m fairly certain 110s have much bigger discs and pads, the Discovery (and RRC and 90) solid front discs being the same part as the 110 rear discs.