Roamerdrive

Cornish Rattler

On 9/4/2021 at 6:31 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

The fined ally plate arrived today, so i will fit it on Monday as well as flush the old oil out with GL4 gear oil then when i fit the Roamerdrive i can drain the transfer box again and refill it again with GL4 🙂

Ally plate is on and gate it a run round so when the Roamerdrive turns up it will get drained off and refilled 🙂

I drove my mates S1 V8 with Fairy OD and both gear levers would hit when using the overdrive, you had to use a technique similar to using twin throttle levers in an aircraft but pushing one forward and the other back at the same time moving them apart sideways.

I thought the Fairy OD has an electrical operated solenoid to control it?

Maybe that was only on the Triumph 2.5 I used to drive when I was 18. It had the OD switch on the knob of the gearstick. It was brilliant, especially swicthing it out and getting a lovely surge to be able to overtake. Oh the 1970s!

3 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Maybe that was only on the Triumph 2.5 I used to drive when I was 18. It had the OD switch on the knob of the gearstick. It was brilliant, especially swicthing it out and getting a lovely surge to be able to overtake. Oh the 1970s!

Yeah i think old Jags had electric ones as well, still waiting for the roamerdrive to arrive ☹️

27 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

That’s the GKN unit on the Stag, Spitfire 1500, Dolomite and Defender.  The Fairey has a simple lever and connecting rod.

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

I drove my mates S1 V8 with Fairy OD and both gear levers would hit when using the overdrive, you had to use a technique similar to using twin throttle levers in an aircraft but pushing one forward and the other back at the same time moving them apart sideways.

That’s why the lever is cranked at one end - you rotate the lever to a comfortable position that doesn’t foul anything, then tighten the locknut.  The bend should be at the bottom of the lever, but some people mistakenly put it at the top.

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

That’s why the lever is cranked at one end - you rotate the lever to a comfortable position that doesn’t foul anything, then tighten the locknut.  The bend should be at the bottom of the lever, but some people mistakenly put it at the top.

And if set right and your hands are big enough when in 3rd + o/d you can change to 4th and at same time come out of o/d by grabbing both levers from the bottom then go back into o/d again later 🙂

Edited by Cornish Rattler

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

That’s the GKN unit on the Stag, Spitfire 1500, Dolomite and Defender.  The Fairey has a simple lever and connecting rod.

Of course. I should have known / remembered that. I also drove a Dolomite Sprint. What a car that was. Don’t think it had an OD but all the fun was getting up to top anyway!

20 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I think MGB’s had the GKN one too ? 

I remember it seemed to futuristic that an electrical switch could change your mechanical gearing !! 🤩

I think so, on the big engined models, and a few more vehicles besides.  I haven’t a clue what the full list is, but quite a few BL models had them.  Just not a factory option for Land Rovers, even though Fairey was.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:26 PM, Peaklander said:

Of course. I should have known / remembered that. I also drove a Dolomite Sprint. What a car that was. Don’t think it had an OD but all the fun was getting up to top anyway!

Sounds good! I have a partly dismantled Emerald Green Sprint patiently awaiting its restoration, but our 110 Td5 and too much other plans keep me from picking up the project.

It rolled off the line between Christmas '73 and New Year, when I was two months old, so we share our birth year.

It has an overdrive BTW.

(Apologies for veering off-topic).

Edited by Vogler
  • Like 1

Just after i removed the cubby box and floor plates to have the landy ready for when the Roamerdrive landed sometime  this week i get an email from Syncro gearboxes saying that they have been chasing the roamerdrives and that they haven't recieved them yet and are coming from Canada they also said this is not normal for Roamerdrive as they are pretty quick, so still waiting ☹️

• Sad 2

The shipping industry is in a big mess globally, largely down to port closures and staff shortages from the pandemic, but also because of imbalances in cargo loads with much of China shutting down first, then Europe, then China re-opening, so ships would be sailing empty in one direction, which the companies obviously don’t want to do.  What goods are shipped are now getting ludicrously expensive (it’s nothing to do with Brexit, contrary to some claims, as prices for materials have soared globally)  It’ll only settle down properly after the bulk of nations stop lock downs.

18 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Going to depend on the product,  but perhaps, but then it is not a lasting situation, this time next year will likely be back down to very close to pre-pandemic levels.

Maybe even better/worse as a lot of folks have been stockpiling, double-ordering, and over-provisioning because of the chaos - I think we're going to see a big slump and excess capacity / stock in a lot of places.