V8 conversion

Hi - I’m new to the forum, so I’m guessing this will have been covered extensively before. Just bought a 1990 Defender fresh out if a ground-up restoration. Wanting to take out the TDI and install the 3.5 V8 which is in my garage once I’ve fitted a new water pump, and changed the SU’s for a new inlet manifold and 500CFM Weber. Is this feasible or a world of pain? Any advice gratefully received

Very feasible and I can understand your desire to get the diseasel out. I’m not the person to tell you how but a grown up will be along shortly I’m sure.

Be warned though, you’ll be badgered into mega squirt pretty quickly which is probably a good thing…?

Have a search on the forum, this has been covered loads of times over the years.

I'd probably stick with the SU's though over the Weber. The SU's will work at pretty much any angle, unlike the Weber and won't restrict anything power-wise on a 3.5. I am a multiple megasquirt user but unless you need maximum economy or power or just like wiring etc then I'd say stick with the carbs, especially if not doing many miles.

• Like 1

If you are going to go through the effort of a V8 conversion, I think you should aim for the most displacement you can find. When the 200Tdi was introduced I believe LR didn't offer v8 powered Defenders to the home/GB market. Perhaps to protect Discovery 1 sales, or because the 200Tdi was such a big leap up from the previous diesel offerings.

Btw I've heard from RPI engineering that they haven't yet been able to achieve a good enough tune with a weber/Edelbrock 500 on a 3.5.

Edited by rednaxela

I agree about displacement. More is always better. 

The V8 was still offered alongside the 200Tdi. Although it was rare. And of course the 50th Anniversary model. 

Not sure what you mean about unable to tune with a Weber??? Mine range great. 230hp and 219lbft on the dyno (TR7). 

Personally I’d use V8 Developments or Realsteel over RPI. 

21 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I agree about displacement. More is always better. 

The V8 was still offered alongside the 200Tdi. Although it was rare. And of course the 50th Anniversary model. 

Not sure what you mean about unable to tune with a Weber??? Mine range great. 230hp and 219lbft on the dyno (TR7). 

Personally I’d use V8 Developments or Realsteel over RPI. 

TR7s don't lean at 45 deg though.