E10 petrol

Simon_CSK

On 9/19/2021 at 10:16 AM, cackshifter said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but if one blocks the tank vent except when in use, does that not go some way towards alleviating the problem?

I wouldn't have thought so as the air enters the tank as the petrol level drops when in use. The best bet would be to keep the tank above half full where possible.

I'm not sure how much an issue this really is to be honest. Water in a diesel tank builds up from condensation forming from the air in a partly filled tank. Petrol however has a much higher vapour pressure than diesel does and the ethanol content of the fuel will stop it from just sitting there as it will in a diesel tank, so I can't see this being the issue some people claim. I'm sure this will just blow over with E10 petrol. 

1 hour ago, steve200TDi said:

So the general gist is that you may need to replace your fuel hose and o-rings on your injectors, but it should run fine in your Rover V8?

I've not even done those - my fuel hose is all recent enough (as in, manufactured this millennium) and I've never seen any issue with the injector seals. Only thing I suspect was damaged by E-something fuel somewhere in Europe was the old-style cork seal on the fuel pump to tank joint, but that may just be an unlucky coincidence.

E85 will be half the price until the bulk of petrol sales are of that, and then the price will shoot up to around the cost of E10.  It’s the same old ploy around the world, done with diesel in the 80s, lpg in the 90s, diesel again in the 00s, and now EVs in the 20s - subsidise the early adopters, then once the public have been swayed into following government policy, bleed them dry.

9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've not even done those - my fuel hose is all recent enough (as in, manufactured this millennium) and I've never seen any issue with the injector seals. Only thing I suspect was damaged by E-something fuel somewhere in Europe was the old-style cork seal on the fuel pump to tank joint, but that may just be an unlucky coincidence.

I've done even less than that on my Series 1 - still runs fine with no leaks. I haven't noticed an affect on the cork gaskets on the tank. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rusty_wingnut said:

I've done even less than that on my Series 1 - still runs fine with no leaks. I haven't noticed an affect on the cork gaskets on the tank. 

Thats reassuring as it suggests the carb and fuel pump components will cope. I guess this is short term at the moment as e10 hasnt been around for long yet?

Yep, just had a chat with a taxi driver, he's almost on empty, and clearly needs it to work.

The world can be full of selfish..... when push comes to shove.

I have half a tank (about 150 miles) and will fill up once all this blows over and the service stations are like ghost towns.

I just got back from Portsmouth on empty, got to petrol station to find massive ques, didn't know why, luckily the twats didn't que at the proper entrance so I bypast them all to a spare pump!

When I was done the que went down the road.

• Haha 2