turbo engine

im putting a 19j td into my 2.25 90 at the monent.

make sure you get the radiator as there is an oil cooler in it. im going to be fitting an oil cooler in front of my petrol radiator and hoping for the best.

there is a pipe from the filter box to the turbo , get it , they cost a small fortune. might help to grab the filter box while you are there. the exhaust is different as well , you will need a td exhaust and new ones arnt cheap but you should be able to pick up a second hand one. check the rad pipes are the same , mine wernt.in fact check if your expansion tank feeds into the bottom rad pipe , the td one does.

this is all i can think of off the top of my head but if i think of anything il let you know.

keep in mind though most of the above will apply to a tdi as well.

If you have the N/A already, and are fitting the TD, then the only difference is the downpipe, which is £15? Air supply is the same if I remember right as there is no intercooler.

The TD engine suffers from heat stress - syptoms are cracked pistons usually, which causes excessive crankcase pressure. Engine oil gets pushed into the airfilter housing - soaking it within a few miles in extreme cases. I have this same engine in catflap and have installed a 200TDi intercooler to reduce cylinder heat and hopefully reduce/eliminate the heat stress problem.

The only TD engines that I have seen with cracked pistons are those that have been stressed - used off-road and blocked radiator cores, so the engine was overheated to some extent anyway. I would say that a TD engine used on the road would be ok though and may not suffer at all.

Les. :)

the exhausts are different , Ive got the parts catalog sitting here in front of me.

the N/A exhaust may fit with a bit of fiddling but i don't think its suitable,the 19j is a pretty 'soft' engine after all. i used to build exhaust systems for a living and you really don't want to go chopping and changing them if you can help it.

the 19j is quite a 'delicate' engine unless you really know what you are doing you really don't want to mod it to much.

Les do you have a n/a exhaust on your TD? have you noticed any difference? even if the tone of the exhaust is different it means its not suitable , it may not do any harm though but you might want to keep an eye on the engine coolant and oil temps if using the turbo for prolonged periods.

the air cleaner box itself is the same but you will need to get part No ntc4089 or ntc4655 (adapter - air cleaner) , I'm not sure what the difference is in the two but they correspond to Vin numbers which unless you have the Vin number of the vehicle the box came from you wont know which one you want . its basically an adapter that sits between the wing to air cleaner hose and the air filter box , its only to attach the rocker cover breather pipe to the pre filter air system. I'm sure you could bodge it if you want to go down the bodging road. both elements have the same part No as do the 'o' rings.

the only other difference is the tripod legs are in a different place , the dump valve is in a different place and the turbo diesel ha an element status indicator (tells you when you are due a new air filter element).

if you ever wish to renew this filter box its worth knowing they cost around 300 quid if i remember correctly. (ntc4183)

you will need to get the housing to turbo pipe though , iv tried different pipes but cant get one tapered to fit , the part No is ntc2830 , try and get this second hand if you are on a tight budget , its fairly pricey for what it is.

there have been horror stories about the 19j but if you dont rag it out and keep it sweet , service it regularly etc it should go ok.

MY 19J TD was good until it didn't want to play anymore cos of to much heat stress.

Mine left the contents of the sump liberally scatter around Ringwood and across the passenger's side of the 90 as it cracked and hole all 4 pistons. I'd say there is a 50/50 chance of a TD surviving beyond 80-130k miles before a bit of a rebuild is required.

Mine left the contents of the sump liberally scatter around Ringwood and across the passenger's side of the 90 as it cracked and hole all 4 pistons. I'd say there is a 50/50 chance of a TD surviving beyond 80-130k miles before a bit of a rebuild is required.

I remember that. not a pretty sight :unsure:

Guest dew110CSW
MY 19J TD was good until it didn't want to play anymore cos of to much heat stress.

Mine still wants to play every day, 130k miles on. As long as you keep them well maintained and don't redline then everywhere then they are well reliable - Mid 89 they had an upgrade which fixed a LOT of the earlier problems.

Well recommended by me as seen as TDis fetch silly money nowadays - I'd never swap the TD out of mine for a TDi...

I had the TD engine in mine checked when i bought it and mines an early 90 so had the mods,out pulled my mates 200tdi on the straight!

Only reason it's going is cause i got a 3.5 td to go in!

Intercooling would be a good mod for a TD as th parts are cheap and it helps with the temps etc.

Guest dew110CSW
Intercooling would be a good mod for a TD as th parts are cheap and it helps with the temps etc.

I actually heard they don't take kindly to intercooling :blink:

I don't see what the problem is, a Landie isn't meant to be quick but the 110 will sit at 65 quite happily - how much more do you need?

they do take kindly to intercooling, it helps prevent the overheating of the piston crowns etc they tend to suffer from. what they dont like is the fact when people fit an intercooler they tweak the pump to gain the extra performance, this puts more strain on the engine & bang.

Mid 89 they had an upgrade which fixed a LOT of the earlier problems.
Mines a 1990 engine and it suffered with the exact same problems that earlier engines did. What modifications did they do to it?
I actually heard they don't take kindly to intercooling

How can the fitting of an intercooler be bad for the engine? It only cools the air and makes it slightly more dense.

Les. :)

Guest dew110CSW

Not 100% sure what they did - Wikipedia simply state they had an upgrade 1989.

Early engines gained a reputation for short service lives, with problems such as bottom-end failures and cracked pistons. Small changes made in 1989 solved many of these problems, but the engine is still avoided by some.