Towing Trailers

Anderzander

Hmmmmmm. Those that passed even the most rigorous test can still lack common sense / act impulsively at times. A qualification does not guarantee perfect performance and behaviour for evermore. 

Edited by Happyoldgit
I hate it when the phone replaces "passed" with "past" so I changed it back again!
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Hmmmmmm. Those that past even the most rigorous test can still lack common sense / act impulsively at times. A qualification does not guarantee perfect performance and behaviour for evermore. 

I'm with you on that!  A test is no substitute for experience.

A guy I work with passed his trailer test then a few days later bought a 3 axle plant trailer and went to tow a mini-digger.  He only got a few miles before he rolled the whole rig off the side of a motorway.  Wrecked the truck, trailer and digger!  I think the test had given him too much confidence - but didn't teach enough about how to load, how to drive, maybe about appropriate speeds.  I think mostly it's about the feel of how the trailer is behaving - and what to do about it if it's all going a bit wobbly.  That's the thing you only get with experience.

I've had my share of frightening experiences towing - but I 'learned' on a small single axle trailer on the back of a Defender.  I doubt the trailer could have rolled the LR, regardless of how bad things went - but it soon taught me about weight distribution and the finer points of towing, which actually translate into towing safely.

The first time I towed a big (transporter) trailer, it was like a dream!  It was stable and I could see it in the wing mirrors.  I'm just glad I learned with a trailer where the consequences of getting it wrong were not too serious.

The first time my wife towed was a 16 foot beaver tall on the back of my tomcat at night. So the perfect set up and time.......not, However we were on the motorway it was empty and I was with her (abet half asleep hence why she was driving). She wasn't phased by it and didn't reverse it. Later she collected the club trailer for me (2ton box trailer) she hitched towed and reversed it onto our drive without me there. When I asked her how it went she just said "I'm glad you weren't watching but it was ok". I think half the battle is spending time with somebody else who has towing experience and seat time even if it's only the passenger seat. She will happily tow anything I can throw at her but she does prefer if I load it (not that she can't).

Mike

• Like 4

23 hours ago, simonr said:

I'm with you on that!  A test is no substitute for experience.

“Wisdom is the accumulation of experience.  Experience is usually from a lack of wisdom.”  (Terry Pratchett).

HOG, you’re quite right that a qualification is no substitute for experience, but it does give a safe basis from where to start gaining experience, or should if the course and test are correctly constructed.  As has been said a few times, a badly constructed course and test can give false confidence and be entirely counterproductive.  

But experience is also worthless without the correct attitude.  Someone with low experience but a cautious attitude and diligent approach to a task will outperform an experienced but slack person.  I see it all the time.

• Like 1