Cable Finding

Hi everyone , just wondering where you get your cable from as the company's i know of have a limited range of colours    

I go to Halford's , Autospark's or Holden's' it's the one's with trace colours in, or the heavy duty amp's that just seem hard to find

only want to buy in small metre's not the whole roll. any help i would be grateful

Thank you 

What particular colour are you after? When I did a complete rewire I found Autosparks to have everything I needed. I would recommend getting a lable printer that can print on heat shrink. I use one now and apply a lable at each end of the wire. I found it to be a game changer.

2 hours ago, Mutley said:

+1 for Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd.

@Monkey what make /type of printer are you using any info would be great, cheers. 

I have a Brother P-Touch E300 this. I use the genuine (not cheap) Brother black on white heatshrink cartridges. So far as a test to harsh conditions, I have used it to label all of my guage and sender wiring in hot/oily conditions next to the engine. After a wipe with a cloth the text is still clearly visable and not rubbed off or dergraded. I'm very pleased with it, so going forwards I now use my own wiring colour code of solid wire colours but with a label each end to identify the wire.

Tha only thing I would say about it is that if you print labels one at a time you will quickly waste the heatshrink cartridge as it automatically pulls the label through. Instead I make the labels in a batch just leaveing a double space between each one. That way I am getting more label out of a cartridge if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Monkey impressive bit of kit but sadly for me a far too impressive price, Ouch!

Like the idea, maybe when I'm rich and famous!?! Oh hang on, if that ever happens I won't be working on it!!!..... Until then I guess it's back to the adjustable spanner, angle grinder and the test light!?!?!?! Such is life!

I always use VWP for mine too.

I bought a Dymo XTL300 that can print on heat-shrink and it's a bl**dy awful piece of junk so @monkie's recommendation is a bit late for me but I'd second it firmly - I've got a couple of smaller cheapy Brother printers and they work well enough, that'll teach me! :lol:

I'm currently doing a complete rewire on my 110 CSW and to identify all cables I've bought, on eBay, a set of numbers, 0 to 9, and 100 of each.  These are available in 1.5mm and 2.5mm cable diameters.  I thread the cable through the relevant numbers and then cover them with transparent heat shrink.  I do this at each end of virtually every cable so that I don't have to bother trying to follow/identify cables through a long bunch.  I keep an up to date record of all numbered cables with the intention of a hard copy being included in my vehicle maintenance record.  So far, this system seems to be working.

Mike