Classic Valve Stem Seals

RoverDad

Starting a new thread as the topic changes.

The Valve stem seals had all displaced on our freshly rebuilt 1990. When I had originally disassembled the heads I found that the prior seals had all disintegrated to almost nothing.  Put the new guides on and now that I have once again torn her apart, I find that they do not stay put. I suspected they wouldn't as they didn't snug firmly at all. Both the OEM and aftermarket fit poorly - no snug. Seems a good question to ask is 'Do we need to use Valve stem seals on a 1990 at all?'  The stem seals for 1990 differ greatly from following years for which I've never had issue. The small blue seals work and stay put.  The 1990 stem architecture is much different in its design and makes me think that most probably it ran without its seals in place for some time, I suspect a great long time.  I'd even speculate they just may be completely unnecessary altogether. So, how many of you readers would argue that a 90RRC needs its VSS's?

Edited by RoverDad