Jump to content

New workshop - Which floor paint?


Recommended Posts

Hello folks.

After a long wait due to the pandemic I move into my new workshop in 2 weeks!

It's just had a new concrete floor poured. It's not power floated.

After a decent floor paint / coating to put down before the big move.

What do folks recommend?

Floor space is roughly 20ft x 60ft.

Cheers! 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 weeks is tight if it is only just poured, ..... it'll still be very green. I used 1 part Polyurethane with good success, and that is a good DIY solution. Whatever you go with make sure you paint it before you start moving in ..... so much easier!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As above, the concrete is going to be very green at that stage so look carefully at what the coating manufacturer recommends. My workshop floor was old barn concrete floor so a sweep off and then used a 50/50 mix of leyland trade floor paint with white spirit. Top coat was then as it comes. That's held up really well, but was on top of really old concrete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers guys. Concrete was poured around 4 weeks ago and I won't be painting it for another 2 weeks.

I've had a few units over the years, will 100% be painting it before I move in.

Currently on with the toilet block, some wiring etc....

Blanco - Do you have a link to the polyurethane you used?

Landroveersforever - I've just seen this stuff in Screwfix catalogue, shall certainly keep it in mind.

The plan is to wet the floor, sweep it off and allow to dry for a couple of days then I'll do the edges and 12" up the walls all round and use a couple of sweeping brushes to paint. Thoughts?

Thanks again 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

As above, the concrete is going to be very green at that stage so look carefully at what the coating manufacturer recommends. My workshop floor was old barn concrete floor so a sweep off and then used a 50/50 mix of leyland trade floor paint with white spirit. Top coat was then as it comes. That's held up really well, but was on top of really old concrete.

That's good to know, it seems to have got good reviews on Screwfix. It says coverage is about 11m squared per litre. Hows much did you use per metered square with and without thinning. I'll be doing mine when I exchange and complete! :D

Steve

Edited by steve200TDi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't remember the make, I'll look  when I go out shortly but I seem to think it was a local Irish brand. I bought a long handled 12" roller rather than a broom, I guess it depends how smooth the  slab's finish is. I was going to buy Leyland, based on a previous thread on the subject but Screwfix wouldn't deliver paint at the time so I had to go with what was available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used a one pack poly on my workshop floor (old smooth floor) and its carp. its good paint for racking etc it goes straight on and covers well but on the floor its useless and just chips off. Floor was prepped and paint laid to the letter of the instructions. Personally id go for the epoxy or nothing although I must admit I have never tried the epoxy on read others results on here.

 

If you are happy to repaint your floor every year then maybe not so much of a problem but I have better things to do!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

That's good to know, it seems to have got good reviews on Screwfix. It says coverage is about 11m squared per litre. Hows much did you use per metered square with and without thinning. I'll be doing mine when I exchange and complete! :D

Steve

I'm not entirely sure to be honest Steve. I think I bought two tins. U think 5L each? First covering of the floor from memory was a whole tin mixed 50/50. Then ~2/3 of a tin for the top coat. This concrete is pretty rough though! The details may be in my 90 thread, as the workshop prep went in that thread in the end. It would be back around Oct 2013 to Jan-ish 2014 from memory.

EDIT: just to add, workshop is just under 400sqft - Google says that's about 37sq meters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Trendkill110 said:

Cheers guys. Concrete was poured around 4 weeks ago and I won't be painting it for another 2 weeks.

I've had a few units over the years, will 100% be painting it before I move in.

Currently on with the toilet block, some wiring etc....

Blanco - Do you have a link to the polyurethane you used?

Landroveersforever - I've just seen this stuff in Screwfix catalogue, shall certainly keep it in mind.

The plan is to wet the floor, sweep it off and allow to dry for a couple of days then I'll do the edges and 12" up the walls all round and use a couple of sweeping brushes to paint. Thoughts?

Thanks again 

Why the wetting of the floor? You want it as dry as possible - particularly if using a non-water based paint. 

As for the painting... how smooth is it? Brooms will be rubbish for spreading paint so either wall-paper paste brush if its rough or rollers if its smooth. I started out with 14" commercial rollers, but binned that idea as the concrete was too rough and did it by hand with an 8" brush I think it was. Top coat was about 7hrs on my own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine was 'Ridgeway' single pack floorpaint in mid grey, big problem for me was that my floor was power floated and dust had become a huge issue. This paint has improved things hugely. This finish has the odd blemish, I have tyre marks where I parked one of the RR's a couple of days later but generally now it's what you need , pretty impervious to oil spills and what have you, easy to sweep, much nicer than before. ease of application was a big plus. I guess 2 pack is the ultimate but I am pretty happy with the single pack.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

Mine was 'Ridgeway' single pack floorpaint in mid grey, big problem for me was that my floor was power floated and dust had become a huge issue. This paint has improved things hugely. This finish has the odd blemish, I have tyre marks where I parked one of the RR's a couple of days later but generally now it's what you need , pretty impervious to oil spills and what have you, easy to sweep, much nicer than before. ease of application was a big plus. I guess 2 pack is the ultimate but I am pretty happy with the single pack.

Dust is a problem with any concrete that isn't sealed and you'll just keep sweeping it til the end of time if it's not painted/sealed :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I'm not entirely sure to be honest Steve. I think I bought two tins. U think 5L each? First covering of the floor from memory was a whole tin mixed 50/50. Then ~2/3 of a tin for the top coat. This concrete is pretty rough though! The details may be in my 90 thread, as the workshop prep went in that thread in the end. It would be back around Oct 2013 to Jan-ish 2014 from memory.

EDIT: just to add, workshop is just under 400sqft - Google says that's about 37sq meters.

I'll have a look, but from what you've written, that's good to know. My potential new garage is approx 15 sq meters and so one tine could be enough!

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used Polar floor paint from Amazon on the garage floor with good results. It holds up well to trolley jacks and car tyres etc. 

5 litres did a thinned prep-coat and then two thick coats on top. Floor is 17m2. I've got a bit left for touchups etc.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PVPGG1R/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_7MA3S7EJ0FYH5TRPK2HX

Edited by Hazza
Link to comment
Share on other sites

doesnt help with the main question but i painted my garage floor yellow rather than the usual grey as i find it easier to find items dropped on the floor,

this is the paint i used

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360586553444?hash=item53f4a22864:g:bswAAOxyvSVREkJ8

thined the first coat with white spirit then put the 2nd coat straight out the tin, 4/5 years on its still in good condition with only where the buggy tyres sit lifting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not floor paint expert but have wrecked their heads enough that i've done the following. I've painted a few floors before using this process and they all had problems

Diamond Grind floor

Apply epoxy sealer

Apply 2 pac floor paint with a 2mm floor screed

apply quartz sand while its wet. think its a kilo per sq meter but basically until its completely covered by the sand

let dry and remove excess sand

apply second coat of 2 pac paint with a squeegee

 

I find if you dont have the sand and the floor gets wet you will be the next Thorvill and Dean

 

Yes its a lot but its the only one that has lasted for me and my motto is Go big or Go home 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, landroversforever said:

As for the painting... how smooth is it? Brooms will be rubbish for spreading paint so either wall-paper paste brush if its rough or rollers if its smooth.

Not much difference between a soft broom and a wallpaper brush, other than the length of the handle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy