Overland Adventur Show

Cornish Rattler

No I'm not going, but your repeated mentions of the show keep reminding me of one aspect.

The last I'd seen you have mounted your rooftop tent, and your visit to the show is associated with your future use of this tent.

I am reminded of a forum topic some years ago when people went to a public show with their new roof tent in place. When they returned to their vehicle the vehicle was still there, but with a damaged roof where the tent had been roughly removed.

That was possibly at Billing, which had a 'rougher' reputation than Peterborough, however I just wanted to caution you of the risks involved in leaving a mounted roof tent in a open car park.

Overall I'd rather be alarmist before the event than leave any comment until afterwards.

Regards.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, David Sparkes said:

No I'm not going, but your repeated mentions of the show keep reminding me of one aspect.

The last I'd seen you have mounted your rooftop tent, and your visit to the show is associated with your future use of this tent.

I am reminded of a forum topic some years ago when people went to a public show with their new roof tent in place. When they returned to their vehicle the vehicle was still there, but with a damaged roof where the tent had been roughly removed.

That was possibly at Billing, which had a 'rougher' reputation than Peterborough, however I just wanted to caution you of the risks involved in leaving a mounted roof tent in a open car park.

Overall I'd rather be alarmist before the event than leave any comment until afterwards.

Regards.

Thanks and i will keep this in mind but i'm not going with my landy as i'm going with son in his landy with no roof tent fitted and only going for the day, incidently i do plan to fit security nuts and bolts as well as aditional security just to make it more harder to remove 

Wish we hadn't gone now as it was carp as there wasn't many there and not really anything to buy or look at and for what was there was more for the seasoned camper / overlander and not really any good for a novice wanting to get into camping / overlanding but did manage to buy a couple of packs of grinding and cutting discs ☹️

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Wish we hadn't gone now as it was carp as there wasn't many there and not really anything to buy or look at and for what was there was more for the seasoned camper / overlander and not really any good for a novice wanting to get into camping / overlanding but did manage to buy a couple of packs of grinding and cutting discs ☹️

When Tom first brought htis show into being, His idea was that anybody could ask and discuss how to travel. Something I think he did very well.Did you stop and visit many of the well travelled grou ps trere and talk to hem, They have some good ideas believe me.

Why a roof top tent

59 minutes ago, mmgemini said:

When Tom first brought htis show into being, His idea was that anybody could ask and discuss how to travel. Something I think he did very well.Did you stop and visit many of the well travelled grou ps trere and talk to hem, They have some good ideas believe me.

Why a roof top tent

Yeah the idea of us going is i have just purchased a roof tent for my series 2a land rover as it will be mainly used for camping at close to beaches as i do beach metal detecting in Wales, North Yorks and hopefully Cornwall and i also want to kit the back of my landy out for camping but when we arrived there we couldn't really see much in the way of things for sale or to get idea's from which as a novice is what i went for ☹️

7 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Yeah the idea of us going is i have just purchased a roof tent for my series 2a land rover as it will be mainly used for camping at close to beaches as i do beach metal detecting in Wales, North Yorks and hopefully Cornwall and i also want to kit the back of my landy out for camping but when we arrived there we couldn't really see much in the way of things for sale or to get idea's from which as a novice is what i went for ☹️

So TUFF TECH TENTS were not there ? {SP}

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

But inland beware of the dreaded Murph, rarely seen, but it's harrowing call can be heard on these pages...........

sorry Mo couldn't resist regards Stephen

...it's the sound of the pitch fork tines being sharpened that is most chilling :D

Steve

• Haha 3

I used to go to every Ao show, but after a falling out with the organiser in Spet 2019, decided not to go again. Roll forward to 2021 and no lock down, the Club I usually go with decided to go to Nash Oaklands on the same weekend as AO in June and then again this last weekend. So much nicer. I can't recommend Nash enough.  Next year we will be stretching to three 'get togethers'. Invite only. One will be just outside Stockton on Tees; so that Mike Gemini and his wife Margaret can come and see us.  At least one of the others will be at Nash - the other may be a road trip around the Southwest, involving Interesting museums, cider and food.

I simply can't see the point in going to shows if you have a group of friends. The traders are keen to make a profit, so there are no deals - and let's be fair, most traders really haven't got a clue. I have no interest in most of the things on display at shows - especially flashing led's, wanna be blue light impressionists, over tyred and under designed vehicles and over priced, pointless bling.

Much rather be sitting in a field, with good friends, having a laugh

3 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I used to go to every Ao show, but after a falling out with the organiser in Spet 2019, decided not to go again. Roll forward to 2021 and no lock down, the Club I usually go with decided to go to Nash Oaklands on the same weekend as AO in June and then again this last weekend. So much nicer. I can't recommend Nash enough.  Next year we will be stretching to three 'get togethers'. Invite only. One will be just outside Stockton on Tees; so that Mike Gemini and his wife Margaret can come and see us.  At least one of the others will be at Nash - the other may be a road trip around the Southwest, involving Interesting museums, cider and food.

I simply can't see the point in going to shows if you have a group of friends. The traders are keen to make a profit, so there are no deals - and let's be fair, most traders really haven't got a clue. I have no interest in most of the things on display at shows - especially flashing led's, wanna be blue light impressionists, over tyred and under designed vehicles and over priced, pointless bling.

Much rather be sitting in a field, with good friends, having a laugh

I went to a couple of the first few and thoroughly enjoyed them. Fast forward a few years of life getting in the way and I looked at going again, I saw photos of June and thought hmm not sure, this one confirmed that I want to camp in a wild location with like minded people that have interesting vehicles/stories. Now I just have to find some friends, time and money. :ph34r::hysterical::blink:

Mike

I’ve been to a few AOs but not this year. I really enjoyed them and the main reason for this was the walk around the camp area where lots of ppl were in their vehicles and happy to talk and show them.

I did listen to a few talks and they were good, except one about ‘bush repairs’. It took about 30mins for the speaker to get to the first example, which was gaffer tape around a coolant hose. So I slipped out…

• Like 1

13 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I went to a couple of the first few and thoroughly enjoyed them. Fast forward a few years of life getting in the way and I looked at going again, I saw photos of June and thought hmm not sure, this one confirmed that I want to camp in a wild location with like minded people that have interesting vehicles/stories. Now I just have to find some friends, time and money. :ph34r::hysterical::blink:

Mike

Of course you could just grow a beard - this would then qualify you for membership of our select club

5 minutes ago, Snagger said:

BOOBS is still going, then?

Hell aye - just as strong as ever. Boobsfest 2 has just finished, with 3,4 and 5 being planned for 2022. The weekly zoom gathering has happened every week since the first lockdown. We have members in Saudi and in Portland, as well as The North of England!

• Like 1