Td5 Ex. Discovery to replace a 300 Tdi in a 110 HardTop

Arjan

Goedeavond,

As per title.

I've been offered a "low mileage" Td5 ex. a Td5 auto.

I have a in the future to rebuild a 110 and was wondering if this change is worth while...

What challenges will I run into ?

Thank you.

A good Tdi is a nice engine, but there is no denying a Td5 is more powerful, more tunable and more refined. I think the conversion is not too bad, but depending on how you want to do it, might be a bit costly. A friend rebuilt his 300Tdi 90 as a Td5. But he basically mirrored the factory fitment for a Td5 90.

A mate of mine said that even switching two injectors around it could make a td5 run rough.  So i think you really need to do your homework on this.  If you got all the wiring and ecu and stuff with the td5 , then use that, i would say.  

I did a Tdi to Td5 conversion at the start of last year - very pleased with the result!

My engine is running a thinned out discovery loom, but you can purchase looms to achieve the same result (likely a bit tidier than mine too!). 

I've fitted the Td5 in a non-standard location so that transfer box and props remained in the Tdi locations. Essentially the engine sits 2 inches further back than a standard Td5. Defender Td5 hoses can be made to work (small extension tubes in intercooler pipes). Doing this means you can retain the lt77 tunnel and seatbox (probably not relevant to you). I fitted the discovery's r380 using synchro gearboxes quadrant conversion.

Tdi diesel tank can be retained, I'm running a sytec equivalent of a Bosch 044 pump with an inline pre-filter and inline filter after the pump, and fuel lines are high pressure fuel pipe.

Retained the original dash and instruments, the ECU doesn't need a speed sensor (unless you want to fit cruise control), so Speedo cable can be retained.

Overall I found it a pretty simple conversion (first engine swap I've ever done) and the resulting drive is a massive improvement.

Edited by Hazza
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Wytze said:

A mate of mine said that even switching two injectors around it could make a td5 run rough.  So i think you really need to do your homework on this.  If you got all the wiring and ecu and stuff with the td5 , then use that, i would say.  

Guessing he'd got dodgy injectors as a Td5 will run perfectly happily with 5 uncoded injectors. 

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Guessing he'd got dodgy injectors as a Td5 will run perfectly happily with 5 uncoded injectors. 

Not sure,  was in a disco 2.   and i'm no expert on this engine.  I like the older stuff more..  😇  He did say, there are two generations, one without coding and the second is coded?  

Edited by Wytze
something extra came up

We talked about coding of injectors on my thread about the CRV I was working on. Definitely in that engine, a 2.2 diesel, the injector coding is for the finest tuning. Not only did it start on first try after replacing them (timing chain replacement too), I haven’t yet bothered to get them coded. 

On 9/22/2021 at 8:11 PM, landroversforever said:

@Tim2809 I think I’ve tagged the right one. He’s just put a disco td5 into his 110. 

Yep you have! Mine i tried to keep it standard looking so availability of parts are easier if needed. 
as your running a r380 box it makes it easier with less to replace 

i bought a second hand td5 r380, weld on engine mounts from dixon fabrication. 
you need to get a defender rad, all coolant hoses, header bottle and intercooler for td5.  Standalone loom available from various outlets. 
Throttle pedal needs to suit the 10p 2 track or 15p 3 track but with nanocom can be set to correct type. 
ecu ideally needs to be defender orientation but if you get it mapped it can be changed.

radiator lower mounts need changing and top brackets are different too. 
if your bonnet had the reinforcement bars down the middle they may need manipulation to clear the rocker cover. 

fuel everyone says use an 044 pump but ive got a slight hold back on hard acceleration with my standard ecu, 1 tuner says its because ive not got a swirl pot fitted but my Mapped ecu is fine. 
Still out on that idea as ive got fuel coming back through pressure regulator so that suggests ive got enough fuel 

Edited by Tim2809