Stainless Steel Exhaust

GeorgetheLandy

On 9/21/2021 at 11:48 AM, Chicken Drumstick said:

I’d have thought there must be a lot of fab/speed shops that could easily make one for you locally. Probably healer than shipping one tbh. 

Yes, I’m pursuing that too but the prices at the moment are silly, still cheaper to ship from the UK.  I may just do that but was wondering if anyone new of a place in the US that made or sold them.  Rovers North have sold out and only have the 88 in stainless.  Which may get me part way but was hoping to find a 109 somewhere.  So far Rimmer Brothers in the UK look to be the best.  Double S make them but don’t sell retail.
Thanks

G

10 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Find a local stainless steel pipe fitter  - someone who does food grade 316 pipe installs - offer him/her/they cash

Our local chap produces work that is almost too good to put on a vehicle, for very little money

I think I'll need to get his details from you next year. My SS one is easily the worst quality mod on the car.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

I think I'll need to get his details from you next year. My SS one is easily the worst quality mod on the car.

I got a SS (doublle ss) too and it was quite simply rubbish, how the steel they used was classed as stainless I'm not entirely sure, carp material and carp fit too.

I got my exhaust re-done by Powerflow in Totton (southampton).

But I would also 2nd the opinion - buy yourself a TIG welder and make one yourself - deeply satisfying :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maverik said:

I got a SS (doublle ss) too and it was quite simply rubbish, how the steel they used was classed as stainless I'm not entirely sure, carp material and carp fit too.

But I would also 2nd the opinion - buy yourself a TIG welder and make one yourself - deeply satisfying :) 

Both Britaprt and Bearmach are selling SS as the preffered option. Quality is carp, bends are 1/3" smaller than the pipe, which is 2.25" instead of 2.5" and it's barely thicker than tin foil. Not 316 either

• Like 1

I've made a couple of exhausts out of mild steel, CDS tube (which I had lots of at the time).  The wall thickness was about 2mm.  I figured that it would take a lifetime to rust through.  You can buy swept elbows to weld on, if you don't have a tube bender.  The connectors are easily available - but I just went to the local ATS and asked if I could raid their skip.  It usually had stainless bits, including muffler boxes that can be adapted to fit.  I'm much too tight to pay for a custom exhaust!

Making one out of 304 Stainless would be easy.  It's not worth using 316 as it tends to suffer more from fatigue.  A 304 exhaust, even in 1mm wall will last decades, if not centuries!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Interesting. Even with mild steel MIG wire gluying it together?

You can weld stainless with mild steel wire - but it's bad practice as the two steels cool at different rates, leading to fractures in the weld.  I wouldn't do it on anything structural - but for an exhaust, the only real down side is a rusty patch.

You can buy stainless wire (308 is used to weld 304 IIRC) - so, for the limited cost of 1/2 kg of the right wire, you might as well go with that!  I've only used it once, and it was very similar to weld with, perhaps a bit hotter for a given power.

12 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

The cost of the wire wouldn't bother me, it's the cost of another different bottle of gas that would worry me. I use a co2 argon mix at the moment, would that work?

I don't actually know if it's the 'proper' gas - but I just googled for it.
"2-3% Co2 In Argon is the correct gas to use for welding Stainless Steel"

However, Argoshield will work fine - but the 2% Oxygen content will cause surface oxidation.  Apparently not a problem structurally, but it doesn't look as nice.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:03 AM, Maverik said:

My Double-S exhaust was a similar experience to yours.  The silencer box stayed rot free, but the rest was very scabby and ugly, and the mating flanges and studs were mild steel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

For a giggle, try sticking 200 year old wrought iron to mild steel

The laminated stuff that they used to make railings from? Yep. Done that. If it's not structural, then don't use gas, shockingly bad weld, but it sticks.