FL2 Haldex Issue

sotal

I think I've got a Haldex issue on our FL2.

When driving slowly and turning the rear nearside wheel feels like it is scrabbling and it makes a clunking noise. It happens in forward and reverse.

No errors showing on Autel.

Pulling the Haldex fuse makes a significant difference, and the noise is barely audible without the fuse in but you can still feel that the scrabbling is there (just reduced).

It just started all of a sudden yesterday - it drives fine once you speed up - you just notice the scrabbling on tighter bends etc.

I believe as ours is a 2010 (59 plate) it will be the gen 4 Haldex unit.

So questions...

Would a DIY Haldex service be worth trying first? How about the Valve replacement as that seems to be common on these?

With the fact that it is still there albeit reduced when the fuse is pulled does that mean there is something more than just the Haldex?

Any tips on where to go next with it?

First - simple - things I'd be doing is looking at the tyre wear/tread-depth and checking the pressures.

The Haldex is told to activate due to different rotational speeds between the front and rear axles/wheels (as detected by the ABS trigger-wheels) - if your tyres are worn differently front to rear or you've got a tyre that's down on pressure and so has a lower effective radius it can confuse the electronics into thinking the front wheels are slipping and you get inappropriate Haldex engagement.

20 hours ago, Tanuki said:

First - simple - things I'd be doing is looking at the tyre wear/tread-depth and checking the pressures.

The Haldex is told to activate due to different rotational speeds between the front and rear axles/wheels (as detected by the ABS trigger-wheels) - if your tyres are worn differently front to rear or you've got a tyre that's down on pressure and so has a lower effective radius it can confuse the electronics into thinking the front wheels are slipping and you get inappropriate Haldex engagement.

Thanks - all tyres are nearly new - no uneven wear and virtually all the same amount of tread. Back tyres were both at 37psi - front were both at 40psi, so I added extra to the rears - all now at 40psi.

It is still doing it.

I've unplugged the larger plug on the Haldex unit - which has reduced the issue but it is still evident - I was under the impression that it would be gone altogther if it was a Haldex unit once it is unplugged?

I had a good play around and the only difference I could find was that the rear nearside caliper still had play in it after using the brakes to come to a stop. I took it off and found the bottom sliding pin was not really sliding, so I sorted that and reassembled but that has made no difference to the noise.

• 2 weeks later...

I was led to believe that the Haldex unit was not considered a service item by Land Rover, but in other VAG applications it is considered a service item! Generally a change of oil is always a good idea in one of these as it's probably never been done!

My experience was out FL2 took an age to lock up on slippery surfaces, it was greatly improved by just changing the oil!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but....

I was just wondering how you got on with regards to fixing your Haldex problem?

I'm in the same predicament although when disconnecting the Haldex on mine it removes the Scrabbling altogether so im trying to figure out if all mine needs is a decent service or if the pump and/or valve also need replacing while im at it.

cheers.

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2024 at 5:32 PM, Steve Watson said:

I'm getting Transmission fault traction reduced. Does anyone know why this is please. 

There's not much traffic in here unfortunately, but I'll give you some advice.

Without plugging it into a code reader/diagnostic computer, anything anyone says is only going to be a guess.

There's a multitude of reasons for that error message, at least get it scanned and get a fault code.