Galvanisers in the uk

chuff

17 hours ago, missingsid said:

I seem to recall a similar thing with alloy wheel cleaner, car cleaning companies can buy strong stuff but Joe public can't.

Thing is just because you own a company does not immediately make you any more knowledgeable. Being a professional just means you get paid for it. An expert can be an amateur with decades of experience.

Sorry ranting again.

Generally, to be an expert you must be deemed competant by a panel of your peers. Hence the 'Certificate of Competance' to a level, ie NVQ2. This is to satisfy the HSE that you are competant.

For example I hold a competance at NVQ 7 in pesticide management, which deems me compatant to advise on Herbicide and Pesticide application, with a speciality concerning Injurious and Invasive Weeds. I had 35 years of experience behind me to feel ready to be assessed. It means I am a professional. By law, to advice on Pesticides and not be liable to prosecution when it goes wrong, you must have said NVQ7 or equivalent

Certain items, such as Creosote with Coal Tar and bulk Rat Poison are being clamped down on by the CRD, becuase they are, by there nature, not good for human life. It's getting  harder to purchase such items without deemed competance - for example Red Tractor or a NPTC Pest control NVQ3

An expert is not a professional - they have no professional indemnity

11 minutes ago, B reg 90 said:

I think the 'spangle' increases over time based on my D3 chassis I had galvenzied. Over 10 months since galvanizing it has gone from the shiny finish below too the finish in the second picture with more 'spangle'. 

Adrian

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_2565[1].JPG

Looks really good Adrian. This really needs a build thread!

Daan

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smallfry said:

it does not soak into the timber like the old stuff did.

Um., the stuff I linked to above does soak in very well.

We used a plastic bin but once one the of 50 gallon drums was empty we cut the top off and soak the bottom of fence posts into it. One of the 12" diameter posts we had to trim the spike off the bottom and found that the creosote had soaked to all but the inner inch of the post.

The icecream tub you can see on these beams got eaten by the creosote and leaked overnight - the resulting stain went all the way through the joists to the floor underneath - it had soaked through over 2ft of (admittedly very dry) timber.

DSC_0775.thumb.JPG.283c42782918a46accb0a8c2dd65b2b7.JPG

4 hours ago, B reg 90 said:

I'm afraid I posted the info on another forum....

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Rusty boot floor / Body removal

Sorry!!

This thread also links for TDV6 engine bearings:

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - What 2.7 V6 main bearing and conrod bearings have you used

Interesting write up- most people wait till their car goes wrong, but you are ahead of the curve!

Daan

2 hours ago, Daan said:

Interesting write up- most people wait till their car goes wrong, but you are ahead of the curve!

Daan

May be ahead or the curve, or daft! However looking back at cars I have previously own I always ended up wondering why I had not tackled the rust and its cause earlier... And my job teaches you it always easier to do preventative maintenance rather than await failure. That said I still have the blooming thing in bits.....

6 hours ago, B reg 90 said:

May be ahead or the curve, or daft! However looking back at cars I have previously own I always ended up wondering why I had not tackled the rust and its cause earlier... And my job teaches you it always easier to do preventative maintenance rather than await failure. That said I still have the blooming thing in bits.....

I had followed your thread up until I sold my D3.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:29 PM, B reg 90 said:

I think the 'spangle' increases over time based on my D3 chassis I had galvenzied. Over 10 months since galvanizing it has gone from the shiny finish below too the finish in the second picture with more 'spangle'. 

Adrian

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_2565[1].JPG

Oh wow! Thats a thread and a half! I dont know how I didnt spot it before as i peruse that forum when this one is quiet!

It is surprising how much rust there is under the D3 though. The sills on mine need some treatment.

Holy moly that D3 is getting some treatment, I certainly wouldn't have the patience for that!

I have contacted UK galvanising, but might try a call to the others mentioned here. 

The vertical rear light capping is indeed hot dip galv, its the worst I have ever seen. Was perfect smooth chemical stripped when it went there. 

Any Spangle galv you see today on gates etc. is done in China!! Must be something to do with the lead content then. 

• 3 weeks later...