110 Back Axles

Log

Well bugger me sideways with a pink feather! I'm a bit behind the times. Are they standard 90 diffs or are they upgraded for greater towing capacity, load, etc, that the 110 used to have?

Log

Guest diesel_jim

They don't have salisbury's fitted anymore, but they're not 90 axles, they are a hoglomation (SP?) of the rangie P38 and other bits axle. they have a removable 3rd member (the diff unit) which is, i think, 4 pinion and 24 spline, but a "lighter" type axle casing.

Talk to bogbuster about the relative strength of the new ones though....

although saying that, they are interchangable with the salisbury... :D

I know the diff unit was a pain to work on (ie: remove it in the first place) but having said that they were pretty tough (at least the diff unit was, not the half shafts). Thats interesting though. Thanks chaps.

Log

The new 110 axles on all 110s and 130s from 2002 model year onwards (the ones with the new dash console) are the 4 pin diff out of the back of a 4.6 litre Range Rover P38a. I don't know what the axle casing is but the diff pan is different (a bit bigger).

They are rubbish and not up to the job IMHO. They are probably better than the std 2 pin diffs used in the front and 90s/Discoverys but having had both a new rear diff in the Discovery when it was brand new, and a new rear diff in the 90, from my point of view that seems a bit like saying that treading on a rusty nail is better than treading on an anti-tank mine. I know of a fair few broken ones on not very old 110s (well none of them are very old as its only been in use for 3 years!) compared to the good old Salisbury which had a vast amount of backlash but never seemed to break.

• 3 weeks later...

So the vast amount of backlash in mine is normal? It doesn't seem to get any worse and I'm up to 220k now. With the Detroit I have learnt to not go round corners with the clutch in or when parking. All that clanking frightens the passengers :P

• 2 weeks later...
The Salisburys can get pretty slack with no adverse effects. They almost never break though - but 220k is quite a long way :)

I have got a Salisbury that has done 250,000 miles and another that has done 240,000 miles, no ill effects on either apart from a bit of backlash. the younger of the pair (1994) with the thinner drive members, has done a couple of drive members, but mostly due to condensation and rust rather than anything mechanical going wrong.

I had a chat with ashcroft about this and apparently it is due to Land Rover changing from wet hubs to dry hubs. Their advice? Pull the hub off, remove the oil seal in the end of the axle casing and go back to the early type half shafts with the thicker drive member.

The later axles are built by a company called Dana, ( I think they are a company owned jointly by GKN & Ford) the 4 pin diff fitted to some of these axles (4.6 P38 rear) can be swapped into a standard Rover type diff carrier, but you need a special pinion and crown wheel (available from Land Rover) in order to do the conversion.

I have just stuck one in my front axle, along with some special Ashcroft half shafts so I can have a 24 spline diff and use the earlier/larger 23 spline CV joints with the thicker drive members.

Though I notice Ashcroft have just started doing some different type drive members that do away with the rubber caps.