Let's cut to the chase shall we?

Happyoldgit

Lots of interesting, insightful and informative discussion about the Grenadier here. I have been on their mailing list for sometime and received invites to their various events but as I am still immune suppressed have not been willing to run the risk of getting out and about to this or that event. This means like a lot of us I am having to rely upon the various releases from Ineos, third party videos and what is being said on here etc.

With what we know so far about this new vehicle, and with some of the conjecture in mind, I thought it would be interesting to see how many here are contemplating buying one?

Me? I was ready to put down a deposit. Was. However I have grown weary of the drip, drip, tease, tease marketing style ....oh and the price.

I'm now in my sixties, after my recent and wholly unexpected brush with the Big C recently I would, when the time comes, dearly like to buy a new vehicle that is likely to be reliable, easy and convenient to service - or get serviced, be capable of doing what all the previous Land Rovers have done and be as well nailed together as the pickups I have run and used around my place and elsewhere plus comfy day to day family transport. Despite how  some rather disparagingly refer to them neither of which were poorly made, throw away or cheap.

So, who is contemplating buying one of the Grenadier's then?

• Like 1

I don’t like the idea of buying a brand new car simply because of the enormous depreciation in the first year.  I’m also wary of buying any new model, regardless of type or manufacturer, in the first few years because of all the small flaws that have yet to be ironed out.  However, if I was in the market for a new car, I’d be up for a Grenadier.  My biggest disappointment with it is that it is no longer to be built in the UK.  I’m sure that it will have at least as good quality, if not better, being manufactured where it is, but supporting the UK is a significant sales point for a lot of Brits, just as many other nationals would be similarly and rightly patriotic in supporting their home manufacturers.  Right now, with international politics being what they are, French involvement stick in my craw, and I am half French (it’s my excuse for all my character flaws 😜), but it’d not be enough to stop me buying.  Tata’s ownership of JLR, and their behaviour to loyal fans of the marque since their takeover, has destroyed all my loyalty to that brand, though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I would have, but I got a 4motion California earlier this year and it pretty awesome for my needs, for the first time in my life I have bought something at the right time!

I've also got a camel 110 waiting in the wings to be rebuilt - I've still got energy for it so its my focus - hell the present market I could sell that and buy 2 Grenadiers...!

I'm pretty impressed with what we've been show of the overall build of the thing, I think they've gone about it in a really interesting way.

Can't wait to see @jeremy996's one ;) 

• Like 1

At the outset, I was interested, but only ever in a second hand vehicle -like Snagger, I can't abide the thought of literally hosing potentially £10,000 down the drain just by driving it off the forecourt.

That and not being able to afford a new vehicle of almost any type anyway!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

At the outset, I was interested, but only ever in a second hand vehicle -like Snagger, I can't abide the thought of literally hosing potentially £10,000 down the drain just by driving it off the forecourt.

That and not being able to afford a new vehicle of almost any type anyway!

I was similar except my interest grew when it was going to be built in GB and then waned heavily when they abandoned that. Price wasn't the biggest driver as I couldn't afford a new one either but it seems to be gradually rising now which I guess will drive secondhand prices up too (I know others think that's fine but hey ho). I still cant really like the bonnet for some reason but someone will come up with a defender lookalike add on I imagine. The inside looks nice, but I do think they could have been more imaginative that just using the BMW lever and buttons for the idrive.

So, I dont see me owning one. To be honest, I despair with new cars - there is nothing that really takes my fancy at all. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, reb78 said:

So, I dont see me owning one. To be honest, I despair with new cars - there is nothing that really takes my fancy at all. 

This! Nothing to my liking on the market, nothing even remotely affordable that is. Most would annoy the living daylights out of me if I had to drive them.

I want to give the Grenadier the benefit of the doubt, but it's off to a bad start being auto only, with a digital dash, BMW switch gear and I'm not convinced about the chassis/suspension as it looks considerably lower than a Defender.

Luckily I have 2 project cars that should (almost) perfectly cater for all my driving needs for as long as we're allowed to drive ICE, so I'll happily spend my money on them. Just need to get them finished to get some reward...

Filip

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Maverik said:

I've also got a camel 110 waiting in the wings to be rebuilt - I've still got energy for it so its my focus - hell the present market I could sell that and buy 2 Grenadiers...!

Will we be getting a build thread? I'm mildly obsessed with camel stuff.

• Like 2

I did buy a new car down here as the driving is certainly very interesting and I wanted the certainty of an I damaged chassis and fully functional safety devices, so buying new was a necessity rather than luxury.  In a place where you can use trusted systems to check a car accident history and condition, like the HPI checks, DVLA records and get AA/RAC inspections, I wouldn’t waste the money.

I used to firmly say I would never buy new vehicles for all the usual reasons. However I am older now, way past the halfway mark in my life, had a full licence and driving since the mid '70's,  and whereas some of the first vehicles were far from new, over the past decade or so I've bought various vehicles both old, new, yes brand new and nearly new. Hypocrite? Perhaps but so what, we invariably change as we grow older and no matter how hard we cling to any fortune or property we amass during our life we cannot take it with us when we die. I have grown to rather like having a manufacturers warranty, it certainly beats laying on cold concrete or frosty grass outside fixing something because I just have to use it next day like I used to. That said I'm happy to still do that with hobby vehicles.

Personal choice. Personal circumstances.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

I used to firmly say I would never buy new vehicles for all the usual reasons. However I am older now, way past the halfway mark in my life, had a full licence and driving since the mid '70's,  and whereas some of the first vehicles were far from new, over the past decade or so I've bought various vehicles both old, new, yes brand new and nearly new. Hypocrite? Perhaps but so what, we invariably change as we grow older and no matter how hard we cling to any fortune or property we amass during our life we cannot take it with us when we die. I have grown to rather like having a manufacturers warranty, it certainly beats laying on cold concrete or frosty grass outside fixing something because I just have to use it next day like I used to. That said I'm happy to still do that with hobby vehicles.

Personal choice. Personal circumstances.

I don't think anyone was criticising you... if you can do it, and there is stuff out there that you like then good for you... I know a lot of people are reassured by warranties and the lesser chances of a new vehicle going wrong etc so its horses for courses...

I am going to go backwards I think... like Filip, I have two projects on the go - chassis change/rebuild on the 110 and restoration of my Vauxhall Magnum. By the time they are done, I might throw a new chassis under the D2 as they are starting to appreciate for some reason (and I like it). Can run a sub £10k Disco 3/4 or RR for the 'smart car' in the meantime but may decide not to as time moves on. I hope that within five years, my situation will change, pace of life slow somewhat and the need to drive big mileages regularly drop and then I can just pootle around the countryside in my rebuilt 110 - I have no issue driving that massive miles when needed and like many on here have toured the UK and Europe in it happily. It will tow everything anyone can legally tow so I will end up content with that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reb78 said:

I don't think anyone was criticising you... if you can do it, and there is stuff out there that you like then good for you... I know a lot of people are reassured by warranties and the lesser chances of a new vehicle going wrong etc so its horses for courses...

I am going to go backwards I think... like Filip, I have two projects on the go - chassis change/rebuild on the 110 and restoration of my Vauxhall Magnum. By the time they are done, I might throw a new chassis under the D2 as they are starting to appreciate for some reason (and I like it). Can run a sub £10k Disco 3/4 or RR for the 'smart car' in the meantime but may decide not to as time moves on. I hope that within five years, my situation will change, pace of life slow somewhat and the need to drive big mileages regularly drop and then I can just pootle around the countryside in my rebuilt 110 - I have no issue driving that massive miles when needed and like many on here have toured the UK and Europe in it happily. It will tow everything anyone can legally tow so I will end up content with that.

No criticism taken. As you know I've got a 79 year old Willy's Jeep and under normal circumstances have been over the moon to be able to pootle down to the village shop, pub or into local towns etc, it's great, I love it but also like modern stuff too. 

If they can sort out the pig-ugly front end and it proves to be as reliable and capable as a Defender then I would probably look to try one in five years or so. The trouble is I can’t really see it doing anything better than my 90 or 110 can already do, but I’d still like to try it out.

I was very tempted - but I have the 90 and that does what I would want to do in the Ineos - and I fancy rebuilding the 90 at some point…. So I don’t really need one.

My plan is to retire in 10 years, so I find myself thinking what do I want to keep for good, what projects do I want, and I definitely don’t want to be paying for anything.

If I had the money I would buy one - even at considerably more than the origional price suggestion. I'm very impressed by the design, like the looks and have heard nothing but priase form those I know who have driven one.

BUT

I don't have the money and am very unlikely to ever have the money. Nor do I actually need one. My disco has some years left in it - probably more than I have in me.

At one time I considered the possibility of buying a Grenadier.

But the absence of any solid revelations on the dealers/sales-support-network put me off the idea. I don't want to have to drive 100 miles to get it serviced!

[so I put down a deposit on a LWB Toyota LandCruiser 'Commercial' - but when Toyota couldn't deliver because of microchip-supply-issues I got the dealer to refund my deposit].

So recently I added a really rather nice 15,000-mile Freelander-2 "Metropolis" to my fleet! Plush-tastic, 0-60 in 9 seconds and it has a heated steering-wheel!
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 6:06 PM, Tanuki said:

So recently I added a really rather nice 15,000-mile Freelander-2 "Metropolis" to my fleet! Plush-tastic, 0-60 in 9 seconds and it has a heated steering-wheel!

The heated steering wheel would have sold it to me straight away. I really do love them

I really wanted one since the project kicked off but it’s still not available and I have a family now and started a new job with a long commute, so I bought a Volvo estate to tide me over until the Rivian ‘leccy 4x4s come to the UK

The Grenadier has taken too long to come to market and missed the post Defender opportunity IMO - and by being designed as IC first will be outperformed by the leccy rivals in a few years

Tesla were the best selling new car in the UK last month for a reason…

20 hours ago, A Twig said:

Tesla were the best selling new car in the UK last month for a reason…

Mainly because the marketing is good.

Interesting fact. A tesla needs a charging current of 75amps. Yes 75 Amps. And 4 hours to charge.

Most houses in the UK don't have the new legally require 25mm2 feed into the consumer unit. They generally have 10mm2

Most villages (like my own) have 1 number 15kva substation to feed the village

Most of the mains supply (11kva) from Sub Main  (33kva) is old - town and country

Do some maths.

It will cost a few million per village to upgrade to allow up to 10 (at most) electric cars to charge, but only after the 11kva and 33kva runs have been brought up to scratch.

And what about cities, what will happen there? Upgrade the infrastructure, but how do you charge the vehicle? Plugs in the kerb? #

Then cost. I was recently offered a job that came with a Tesla and a charging point fitted to my property, along with a £3,500 'allowance' towards charging costs, as well work mileage charging costs from public sites. Working on having to charge the vehicle 5 nights a week for work, I was well into the red on £3.5k. 

The Boomtown Rats got it right

• Like 3

You can charge a Tesla from a 13amp plug, it just takes ages. 

I have dentist clients who have his and her Tesla 3s and used to charge them alternately with a 13 amp plug until their home charge point was installed. These days, they charge them at work and the business picks up the cost. At 50 miles a day, it was more than enough on a 13amp plug.

Nonimouse; what kind of mileage were you expecting to do, as that cost seems really high? 

My sister visits family 'up' here and is happy to top-up her Tesla off a 13A socket. She pays for the electricity too. It's a bit of a faff as it takes a couple of 'overnights' but can be done. I think the car knows what it's connected to and thus adjusts its demand accordingly.