Drill bit Sharpener

In my experience drill bit grinders, certainly the high street ones are of little use.  There are some more sophisticated machines at  around £500 that will do a decent job, but at that sort of money you might as well get a more useful and more capable D-bit grinder. A bench grinder with a fine cut wheel, a pot of cooling water and a bit of practice will be much quicker, much cheaper and you will learn to appreciate what matters about the shape. Lots of stuff on YT on it, and quite a few self-build style guides/alignment aids you can have a go at, but once you get to a certain point most people freehand sharpen with success. You learn to stop and redo one that isn't cutting straight away. Much better to spend the difference on drill bits then when you do have a sharpening session, you are getting multiple goes at once and a better feel for it

I've bought a cheap one a couple of months ago, but haven't used it much. The results seem to be hit or miss, which is annoying as that's what I was getting using a bench grinder as well. I'd hoped a dedicated sharpener would make it an easy job and as said would lead to a lot less time wasted using blunt drills. Even if the result is not perfect. So far that has not been the case. I'll have another go this week, now that this thread has given me a wake up call.

2 hours ago, Escape said:

I've bought a cheap one a couple of months ago, but haven't used it much. The results seem to be hit or miss, which is annoying as that's what I was getting using a bench grinder as well. I'd hoped a dedicated sharpener would make it an easy job and as said would lead to a lot less time wasted using blunt drills. Even if the result is not perfect. So far that has not been the case. I'll have another go this week, now that this thread has given me a wake up call.

I've just bought a Drill Doctor and out of about 150 bits i only had 1 that wouldn't cut ( point ended up blunt ) but i had a few of the same bits so just bined it and not all bits were blunt but went through all the bits so all sharp now, it will also do SDS drill bits so had ago at doing a couple that i had and see how they are when my SDS drill arrives 🙂

Edited by Cornish Rattler