TD5 Clutch Slave Cylinder Operating Rod

Landrovernuts

Afternoon All

I have put this in the international section as applies to Disc 2's as well - Mods please move if you deem appropriate.

I have just put the engine back in my TD5 defender after changing the clutch after the release bearing started getting a tad noisy (howling when hot). I put a new arm, plastic bush and slave cylinder rod form LOF as the original rod was badly worn. I checked the rod length and ok other than the bad wear. I am at the stage where I don't want to bolt anything else to the engine in case I have a problem (only bell housing bolts in and starter on at the minute) but the issue I have is the clutch pedal only operates the clutch at the very bottom of travel - last inch or so.

I have taken the slave off and got my wife to push the pedal and the slave piston only moves very slightly to start with then 10mm or so towards the end of travel, although this is hard to measure! The operating rod is sticking out approximately 40mm form the slave cylinder face on the bell housing but has 5 mm or so of slack and pushing it in you can feel the arm move and push the new release bearing into contact with the clutch fingers (if you do it quickly you can hear the "tinging" as it makes contact). 

If anyone is in the position to measure or knows how much the rod is meant to stick out, please can you let me know as I am getting to the stage where I may just take the engine out again but feel all seems ok inside the bellhousing. I am at a bit of a loss as the hydraulics were fine before!! Any ideas as to what is wrong would be gratefully received.

Toby