Instrument upgrades

Troll Hunter

Although specifically for a Defender, I think that this has general application.

In the rebuild of my vehicle I am planning to upgrade some of the instruments.  For example, I want to have a proper coolant temperature gauge and an engine oil pressure gauge.  My question is about the alternator charge light on the dash.  Is there any benefit in fitting a voltmeter or an ammeter, and if so, which?

All views, experiences and factual information from anybody who understands electrons will be very much appreciated.

Mike

People don’t tend to fit ammeters anymore - personally I’m not fussed about seeing if it’s keeping up with the current draw - I consider what the total potential draw of everything is and spec an alternator to match that. Perhaps it was more relevant with dynamo’s that gave a less consistent output?

I find a voltmeter useful though - tells me the battery condition when the engine isn’t running and if the alternator is working when it is running. 

• Like 3

Amp meters don't generally go high enough for modern systems unless you go for an electronic version (not normally guage sized). I have a standard volt guage in the 110 and a fake Carling with twin digital volt read out in the ibex. I wouldn't classifie either as accurate but comparatively you get an idea if something is amiss.

Mike

• Like 2

I fitted Stack guages (oil pressure, oil temp, volt meter, EGT, boost pressure and coolant temp) earlier in the year and I have to say I'm impressed. I can actually read the guages in the dark and the oil pressure gauge saved my engine from destruction as per my 200Tdi rebuild disaster thread. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Just to iterate what has been said before, ammeters aren’t very useful compared to voltmeters - it’s akin to having a fuel flow meter instead of a fuel quantity gauge.

I like that comparison

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Just to iterate what has been said before, ammeters aren’t very useful compared to voltmeters - it’s akin to having a fuel flow meter instead of a fuel quantity gauge.

BUT it would allow you to recreate the scene from Apollo 13 where you don't come back to earth if you go over a certain current draw?! (On a serious note, it would be interesting to see what things are actually drawing). 

• Haha 2

You’d only be able to see what things were drawing if you had it in individual circuits though - and that’s a multimeter job.

Though I know Ralph likes his gauges - if he had an ammeter for every circuit that would really take him to the next level 🤔😂

image.thumb.jpeg.55dd9ed837e491df96cc884b104b38ec.jpeg

Mock up of 110 centre console  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I like the VDO Vision range of gauges, but it seems as if they currently only supply mechanical versions for oil pressure and coolant temperature on this side of the pond.  Are electrical versions available in Europe? Are your versions mechanical or electrical, western?

Mike

10 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

I like the VDO Vision range of gauges, but it seems as if they currently only supply mechanical versions for oil pressure and coolant temperature on this side of the pond.  Are electrical versions available in Europe? Are your versions mechanical or electrical, western?

Mike

All my VDO gauges except boost are electrically driven. As noted above by miketomcat  make sure you get the matching senders.