Manifold gasket

Looks like the manifold gasket is blowing I’ve never had to change one in the 26years I’ve owned it, so it’s a 200tdi  Defender what is it like to do what will I need as well as the gasket and I presume studs and nuts will need to take everything off to get the manifold off 

should I get someone else to do it 

It's an easy job Harry. You'll be embarrassed you asked after you've done it 😉

You'll need a gasket and a new set of nuts as chances are they'll be a bit rusty.

Take your time, work methodically and read the workshop manual beforehand. No need to remove the turbo or the oil lines to it. Some nuts can be a bit tricky to get to but that's part of the fun isn't it ?

HTH

Mo

• Like 1

I recommend a couple of simple hints for this job:

Go easy undoing and then tightening up the nuts, don't over tighten them (access to a torque wrench and a proper releasing agent like plusgas will help you). 

Rather than throwing the old gasket straight into the bin, carefully inspect it to see where it was blowing and ensure the mating surfaces on the head and manifolds are clean with all traces of old gasket/carbon are removed before fitting the new gasket.

• Like 1

Can I amplify what monkie said; WD40 is not a good releasing agent, although it is better than nothing: use the proper stuff like Plusgas. Give the bolts a dose the night before and another before you start to undo them. 

Clean the mating faces to shiny and flat.

Use a torque wrench to finish tightening the bolts/nuts - more is not better.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 2:06 PM, jeremy996 said:

Can I amplify what monkie said; WD40 is not a good releasing agent, although it is better than nothing: use the proper stuff like Plusgas. Give the bolts a dose the night before and another before you start to undo them. 

Clean the mating faces to shiny and flat.

Use a torque wrench to finish tightening the bolts/nuts - more is not better.

What is the best thing to use to clean the mating faces with to get the best results don’t want to be to aggressive 

Suggest before getting too busy cleaning, it's worth packing some type of cloth into the inlet ports to ensure you do not get anything into the cylinders. 

When cleaning mine I had a hoover nozzle  in one hand and one of those plastic razor blade scrapers in the other. Gently does it, no rushing, etc...

Simon....

Edited by simonpelly
  • Like 1