Best Landy Mods... Ever!

Astro_Al

Thought I'd test the effectiveness of the new forum...

So, having had the thing sitting in the dark recesses of my garage for far too many years, I have decided to complete my Series 2A 'rebuild' in the next 6 months. What I don't finish by February will be completed by Frogs Island, so there is No Escape!

I'm looking for good ideas while I still have time to incorporate them, so post up with the best ideas you've ever seen on a Series or Defender, that I can include.

This what I have at the mo:

New galvanised chassis with removeable gearbox crossmember.

New axles with stronger 24 spline shafts all-round.

Disc brakes all round.

Sumo bar steering, all other parts new.

New parabolics and pro-comp shocks.

And this is what I intend to do:

R380 and LT230.

4-pin or ARB locker diffs (3.54).

Custom propshafts.

V8.

Power steering - ram type if I can get hold of a single ram and not the whole kit... (Help?!)

Custom made bulkhead with integral roll cage also doubling as a raised air intake (as per the SVX).

Remove the rear bulkhead (probably).

Custom softtop and waterproof interior (bucket seats / switches etc) for topless fun all year round! :)

That's the main bits - anyone got any good additions, little ideas etc I can incorporate?

Not sure how to do windows yet, but I won't be using Series doortops. I don't want to have to bolt stuff back on just to escape the rain...

Looking forward to getting the little bleeder sorted! Cheers, Al.

I am sure you have already thought of these but:

Decent wiring harness with relays and fuses!

Parabolics (if it's staying on leaves).

Halogen Bulbs etc.

Not really bling mods, but theres a lot on a 2a that can be improved! :D

Ta

Mark

Thanks guys - the forum seems to be working well! :)

LR90 - nice, I'll give it a look. I was thinking of just having roll-up sides with transparent panels incorporated into the soft top. Or cannibalising defender doors to keep the wind-up windows, but lose the frame around the door top - like a BMW door or whatever - and have the window seal directly against the roll cage instead.

SteveG - sorry, I've got new black modulars and 33x12.50s, I just forgot to write it down! Doh!

Mark - now that's one I DIDN'T forget to write down! Paras are on already! I know, the new forum colours are messing with your eyes... ;)

Good call on the harness. I was thinking about using resettable trip switches rather than fuses. I think I will if I can.

I'll get some halogens to fit into the new radiator panel that I'll make.

Keep 'em coming! Al.

Jees Andy - you promised you wouldn't tell anyone...

I'm afraid my mummy only gave me 1.25 for lunch money today. Please don't flush my head down the toilet again. :P

Seats will be something which doesn't mind getting wet - probably Cobra Aqua 4x4 or Corbeau Forzas in a similar black vinyl, so heating is not gonna happen.

Oh. I just realised I answered that as if it was a sensible suggestion... ^_^

Al.

LR90 - lots of reasons really.

I'm planning on a building a complete tube-framed chassis for my next one, so this is good practice.

None of them make anything which can easily be used as a raised air intake.

None of them make anything which is large enough diameter tube to be used as a raised air intake.

None of them make bulkheads, and seeing as I need one, it seems easiest to combine everything at once.

Pics will be taken. ;)

Cheers, Al.