P38 spark

Simon_CSK

The story of my P38 goes like this.

In July 2019 I took it to be Valleted and when I got it back all hell had broken loose as they had flooded the BECM.

Finally got the BECM rebuilt and installed in January but it wouldn't start so assumed that there was an issue with the ECU not talking to the BECM. Finally got that checked on Wednesday and we discovered that the cut off had tripped and the fuel pump had failed probably because it had been sitting for so long.

Today I had the tank out and changed the fuel pump but there now isn't a spark.

What do I need to check and in what order? (have been playing with TDV8's for too long and have forgotten how my P38 works. 

14 minutes ago, Escape said:

Are you sure the BECM and engine ECU are in sync? In a Bosch the immobiliser allows the starter to crank bus disables the coils and injectors.

Yes

Local indy confirmed it on Wednesday.

Camsensor shouldn't be a problem, they can run without and probably not even noticeable.

CKP is a definite possibility. In that case you'd get no rpm reading (either on the dash or in the ECU data) when cranking.

9 hours ago, Escape said:

Camsensor shouldn't be a problem, they can run without and probably not even noticeable.

CKP is a definite possibility. In that case you'd get no rpm reading (either on the dash or in the ECU data) when cranking.

Crank case positioning sensor?

How can I test it?

Yes, the crankshaft position sensor. If it has failed (completely), you wont see the tacho move when trying to start. Or get an rpm reading from the ECU when connecting diagnostics.

Have a look at fuse 28 and relay 23 just to eliminate the obvious causes as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Escape said:

Yes, the crankshaft position sensor. If it has failed (completely), you wont see the tacho move when trying to start. Or get an rpm reading from the ECU when connecting diagnostics.

Have a look at fuse 28 and relay 23 just to eliminate the obvious causes as well.

Thanks will have a look tomorrow. Hopefully not raining.