Oh Balls.....

Traveling at 60mph on the motorway and my 300tdi auto lost power with a rattling noise and the engine dies and will not restart.

4hours later I got recovered home at 01:30, so next day I have a look and find the lift pump not pumping so order a new pump and waited eagerly for it to arrive.

It arrived today and 30mins later pump fitted and bled but will not start, engine turns over tries to start and then seems to stop dead.

Hmm the timing is good with the timing pins slipping into place so its not jumped a tooth.

I pulled the rocker cover and found this:

It looks like the valve spring cap snapped and the valve dropped into the cylinder and got hit by the piston which has snapped the head off the valve, the shaft pulled out but I'll have to strip the head to see the damage.

It looks like I'm missing some valve caps so going to have to pull the sump to retrieve the remains and find the valve collets, still it will allow me to remove the abortion of a drain plug the previous owner of this engine put in the sump..

Poxy landrovers, I should have bought a toyota

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5629.JPG

Edited by Gren_T
grammar

First off, what a pile of carp, sorry to see that, that's super bad luck. Can't say I've ever seen a valve spring retainer just split in half like that before, not a comman failure on a 300tdi, it is common to find the valve stem caps missing, apparently there was a bad batch from land rover and I've seen and read of a fair few 300's where they break up and fall into the sump.

Fingers crossed the broken valve has stayed roughly where it should have and it hasn't done too much damage...

Commiserations on that. I'd check the turbo is ok too my  90 had that happen and it needed con rod, piston and turbo. When you get to replace the valve caps, I believe Turner's sell the MWM ones which were correctly hardened. It'll still be cheaper to repair than a Toyota. 

This engine has been a nightmare, in the 14 months I've had it fitted I've replaced the following; New front cover as all 4 of the fan pulley flange threaded holes were ether cracked or missing; New top heater pipe; New top hose elbow both because originals were badly corroded, new water pump as original was noisy when spun - I found these issues as I was checking the engine over before fitting it.

Since fitting it I have replaced the following : New PS pump; New fuel lift pump - the original was blocked with reeds and grit on the screen..WTF.!; New injection pump - also had grit in it..!!; New injectors & finally what I hoped was the final insult, 2 weeks ago I replaced the turbo as the wastegate valve had sized and someone had welded up the valve port in the back of the manifold/turbo housing, this engine was an eBay "recently rebuilt with very low miles engine."  never again..!!

I've  now got to get it on the drive and shift my garage around in case the engine has to come out and sods law the weather will get worse lol.

Cheers..!

Edited by Gren_T
  • Sad 1

Well, if the head fell off the valve, I think you’ll find a lot of damage to the head, bore and piston.  It could even damage the con rod and crank shaft.  I suspect that engine is barely rebuildable, but I hope to be proven wrong.  Fingers crossed for you.

Well I had some time on the weekend to pull the head...not good.! 😞

It looks like the engine has had a previous nasty as there are old witness marks on piston 4 and some serious knicks on a couple of the pushrods.

So it looks like I'm into a rebuild.. 😞 as long as the bores and crankshaft are not damaged

IMG_5639.JPG

IMG_5644.JPG

Edited by Gren_T

If the valve caps "fell off" in service, surely the valve train would have made a hell of a racket, as the clearances would be huge ? Like has been said, I have never seen a valve spring cap break like that before, not in anything. Pulled through with high lift cam and stupid high spring pressure maybe, but not broken in half.

I will bet they are sintered metal and not steel. Probably been hammered to get the valves out of the head, instead of using a spring compressor.

To be fair to the vehicle, looks like a lot of the problems you have had are down to serious bodgery by whoever rebuilt (which means taken apart and put back together) the engine.

Probably a forum member here :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gren,

Really sorry to read this tale of woe. But just wanted to let you know that I'm about to be selling my 12J, which would I believe give you a solid basis to use for a rebuild if yours is too badly knackered. 

Or you could just use it as is (I have the correct transfer box and gearbox as well) in which case I'll service it properly before taking it out...

Cheers,

Simon

3 hours ago, Junglie said:

Hi Gren,

Really sorry to read this tale of woe. But just wanted to let you know that I'm about to be selling my 12J, which would I believe give you a solid basis to use for a rebuild if yours is too badly knackered. 

Or you could just use it as is (I have the correct transfer box and gearbox as well) in which case I'll service it properly before taking it out...

Cheers,

Simon

Gren's is a 300 tdi sadly.