For The Fallen

Happyoldgit

As usual, I and about 35 of Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response will be out marshalling the Remembrance parades in North West Leicestershire. A scary number have been cancelled, usually because of parish council issues. (Picture, Ashby de la Zouch 2017). We will be active in Ashby, Coalville, Castle Donington, Ibstock, Long Whatton and Ellistown; there'll be the usual muppets wanting to drive through the proceedings, as they "always go that way". That is why road closures have to the staffed.

Remembrance Day 2017.jpg

1 hour ago, jeremy996 said:

As usual, I and about 35 of Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response will be out marshalling the Remembrance parades in North West Leicestershire. A scary number have been cancelled, usually because of parish council issues. (Picture, Ashby de la Zouch 2017). We will be active in Ashby, Coalville, Castle Donington, Ibstock, Long Whatton and Ellistown; there'll be the usual muppets wanting to drive through the proceedings, as they "always go that way". That is why road closures have to the staffed.

Remembrance Day 2017.jpg

Unfortunately said muppets will see LRs blocking the road. People only see what they want to see.

But keep doing what you do.

9 minutes ago, missingsid said:

Unfortunately said muppets will see LRs blocking the road. People only see what they want to see.

But keep doing what you do.

To get to the site of the picture, said muppets had to move cones and drive past 3 sets of "Road Closed" signs. There is about 2500 people in the road fronting the war memorial, a brass band, scouts, guides, air cadets, serving members of the forces and a considerable number of veterans. The police officer who wandered up suggested to one motorist that a U-turn departure was in order or they would collect some fixed penalty tickets.

The following year, 2018, there were much fewer issues and rather more attendance. I was at Castle Donington and had someone give me earache about not being able to close the Queen's highway. I said nothing as a dozen REME in full uniform suggested he departed rapidly. I'd got the official temporary road closure notice in my pocket. 

Went to Woodlands Cemetery in Gillingham today, where a few of the identified victims of the HMS Bulwark explosion in 1914 are buried. The majority were never recovered or identified. Ship was at anchor in the Medway when it happened, completely unexpected. Only 10 survivors.

Explosion similar to that of HMS Barham in 1941 https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hms+barham+sinking&qpvt=hms+barham+sinking&FORM=VDRE

Also buried here are 10 victims of the explosion aboard the Princess Irene and few months later, and only half a mile of so away.

Colossal loss of life, and very thought provoking