Defender 90 Pickup 2008 TDCI Ignition Switch/Barrel Issues

Recently my Defender has had some issues with the ignition switch. At first the key wouldn't turn although that hasn't happened for a month, however now the problem is that the radio and AC/heating isn't working when the engine is started (in position 3). It does work in position 2 however.

I'm guessing that means there's no wiring or fuse issue but an issue with ignition or the barrel itself?

I've started to disassemble the steering column cover and its pretty dusty and filthy around the ignition barrel and switch so may give it a clean and try again. 

Any help appreciated before I make a mess of things though!

Edited by defender90pickup
completeness

The barrels can stick, mine is brand new and needs a wiggle on the wheel to turn sometimes when it's on the steering lock so that might be coincidence.

Surely if the switch was faulty you'd expect no output so the fact it's starting the car is interesting.

I'm going to give my standard answer here and say get the multimeter out. There's wiring diagrams for the ignition switches, take a look at the one for yours (I have a TDCi switch on a TD5 loom so I think they're the same) and check what outputs are doing what before you start stripping things.

One of the connectors is for accessories so that'll immediately tell you if the switch is the problem.

• Like 1

I have changed the switch without removing the barrel on a '97 one; the switch is held in place with 2 tiny screws. I made a tool from a piece of welding wire (hammered one end into a blade and bent the other like an allen key)which let me get at them - the front screw you have to do by feel pretty much. But access on the later models may be rather limited by comparison. It does save you having to get the barrel out which could be a PITA.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments guys.

i got the multimeter out and indeed the aux output on the ignition switch is giving 10 amps when it’s in position 2 and nothing in position 3

the whole thing is filthy but I’m assuming that doesn’t make a difference considering it’s giving current in pos 2

im guessing that means the switch or barrel is at fault?

B54DE26B-5555-409C-871C-94433715ADE1.jpeg

Apart from being offensive to look at, I don't think the dirt will be a huge problem but if it's holding moisture then definitely could be.

I've done some looking and the part number for the switch is LR039638 for your model year but I would double check.

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-body-electrics/switches/column_44950

You can get one for £7 but bollox to paying that for the most used switch on the vehicle. I would think you could buy one as a trial to eliminate the barrel as the cause, then either buy a complete new ignition assembly or just a genuine switch, depending on the outcome.

• Like 1

thank you @ThreePointFive, i am just trying to remove the old switch without removing the dash. need an offset screwdriver to reach the screw at the back or need to create one like @cackshifter

I'll give it a clean and see if that works then order another before getting a whole new ignition 👍

The screws are minute, a small jewellers screwdriver might do it, but the wire tool worked well. Screws are crosshead but a good fit of a single blade moved mine. Using the wire meant it could bend s bit to wiggle in, I used a small mirror on a stick to see the front screw. Seems impossible at first, but take your time and don't drop the screw! Loosen just a bit the one you can see first. There is a spacer thing which might be stuck on the end of the barrel. And remember which way round it goes, don't put it on 180 out!

• Like 1

@cackshifter & @ThreePointFive its fixed! Thank you so much!

I bought a cheap tiny set of screwdrivers, heated them up and bent them 90 degrees to get the tiny screw at the back of the switch out. Absolute b*llache to do as the Puma dashboard gets in the way so i had to unclip all the wiring harnesses.

Finally got the switch out, cleaned the contacts with some vinegar, popped it back in and bingo - stereo & AC started working in all positions (once i'd but the battery back on)! Looks like the dirty dashboard is the culprit. So i'm going to clean it all as much as possible before i put everything back :)

I'm an absolute amateur so feeling pretty chuffed!!!

• Like 4

Excellent news, you could put some dielectric grease on the contacts to keep them corrosion free. 

Also worth finding out if you have water ingress anywhere obvious while you're in there, these cars are notoriously leaky but if you can see where the moisture is coming in with the dash open you'll thank yourself for looking. That mud/dust has come in through somewhere so water will follow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badger110 said:

Yes, that was what caused me to dig further as to why it was happening ( radio and heater stopped working a week before ) and it turned out to be the end cap of the ignition barrel.

Once replaced, radio and heater worked again and the light went out.  

thanks! check engine light is still on for me - i think its being caused by an exhaust leak, better start a new topic 😂