Coaters and platers in the South East

will_warne

Well, quite shortly I've got a few bits and peices that need to go off for galvinising (body cappings, fuel filler neck, small stuff like that) but quite soon I'm going to have a bumper and most of a roll cage that I'd like to get zinc sprayed and powder coated (my old cage was like that and was the toughest coating on the vehicle). I've been told about someone down in kent who's good and collects (Medway IIRC) but is there anyone more local?

Who do you use, Jez? Nige how about you?

Cheers,

Guest diesel_jim

There is a good powder coaters in Swindon (Sunbase), always good for a cash deal too! :ph34r:

also, up in the yard where Bryn Hemming is is also a powdercoater. Bryn says he does an excellent job. up in Tewkesbury (contact Bryn: bryn.hemming@onetel.net or 07973 416327)

I had my 90 chassis and various rock sliders and components galv'd by "Cardiff Galvanisers", but i can't remember where they were based.... :rolleyes: they also collected my chassis. i picked it up myself just to save on some carriage.

I have used a guy locally for some powder coating, but I only know him as Steve or coffeeboy from the Kent Off Road Club. You can try their website, if you like...

It's here!!

I don't know if you can view the forum without registering, but have a look in the Services offered section right at the bottom and you'll find a powdercoating thread!

HTH.....

Adrian

I only ever powder coat road bike frames, nothing for racing or combat - same goes for galv, no waxoyl just paint, mostly 2 pack, my logic is why coat it if you may have to fix it quickly?

:)

Jez, yeah, I'd agree but the stuff I'm doing doesn't fall into the 'quickly fix' catigory. If it does need repairing then a quick wave with an angle grinder won't be a problem. The main reason for the galvinising is that the cage and bumper will have a hard life and, with all this downtime, I don't want to be repainting them every 2 minutes because it looks a mess (just because it gets used in anger doesn't mean it should look like a shed). If / when I find a decent paint I'll be using that, no question.

the stuff I'm doing doesn't fall into the 'quickly fix' catigory.

Nothing you're doing falls into the "quickly" category! :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

BTW got a planned unveiling date? The 109 looks on-track to be parked in my back garden for plumbing & wiring by Feb :i-m_so_happy:

Nothing you're doing falls into the "quickly" category! :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

BTW got a planned unveiling date? The 109 looks on-track to be parked in my back garden for plumbing & wiring by Feb :i-m_so_happy:

You were saying about 'quickly'. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

So the start of feb to do the time consuming wiring, plumbing and assumed finishing, so will it be done in 6 weeks for Shires Seven Sisters, take 2?

FF, I've got the problem of no time, being stuck 200 miles from it and less cash than I'd like. I'm probably 20h from being weatherproof and once that happens it'll be a big relief but trying to get that time isn't easy at the moment! I'm hoping to get the first roof mold done mid March, I'll then call in some favours on wiring before it goes off for the bumper and rear cross member (april time probably) and then its off for the cage, exhaust, snorkel, wings. After that there's 'just' a paint job, bolt on bits and little details. There's some mechanical work (axle strip, diff pans, brake rebuild, suspension fettle) but that will be a bit more work in progress.

I'm hopeful I can get it event ready for mid summer although a lot will depend on finances.

A lot of the stuff I see come back from Medway looks like it was run over by the forklift in their yard. Anything fragile (from iron railings down) may need considerable straightening when it comes back.

Chris

Having had my bulkhead galv'd I think handling is a much larger risk to the item than anything to do with the hot dip process.

That said FWIW my bulkhead survived and was done by wessex galv in Eastliegh. Shotblasting was done on the same estate but can't recall the name off hand (though the guy that did it had a 110 tombraider with mud on it and a D3 so I will probably call back there for any future blasting or spray coating).

Had the rear axle hot zinc sprayed and painted by plasticoat (sp?) in gosport which was very good but would probably use Eastliegh next time just coz it is easier from work.