2009 air con stays on

treebloke

I have a 2009 model and every time I start it the air con comes on, I turn it off and put the heater but when I stop the car when I restart it the air con is on again. Its not a problem in the summer but now its dropped cold its a nuisance.

Has anyone else had the same scenario?.

You should leave the a/c on constantly as the car has climate control so either heats or cools depending on what it is asked for. If it is cooling when you are asking for heat then you have an issue ( obviously!). Can you get her plugged in to see if any faults are logged?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bishbosh said:

You should leave the a/c on constantly as the car has climate control so either heats or cools depending on what it is asked for. If it is cooling when you are asking for heat then you have an issue ( obviously!). Can you get her plugged in to see if any faults are logged?

I am in agreement. With Range Rovers after the P38 the first point of call has to be the computer as almost eveything on them refers back to it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 6:03 PM, bishbosh said:

Had it plugged in and no faults. I just find it strange you can't turn the a/c off and it stays off? 

It does get warm or cold whichever setting to tell it you want so I guess I will learn to live with it. Other than that its a really nice car.

15 hours ago, treebloke said:

Had it plugged in and no faults. I just find it strange you can't turn the a/c off and it stays off? 

It does get warm or cold whichever setting to tell it you want so I guess I will learn to live with it. Other than that its a really nice car.

They all do this as standard. I never turn mine off as even when the car is heating the air not cooling it, it is always also working as a dehumidifier and stopping the windows steaming up

I don't remember my 2002 L322 doing it but all 2007 on TDV8's do it and the later 2010 on facelifted ones too

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

They all do this as standard. I never turn mine off as even when the car is heating the air not cooling it, it is always also working as a dehumidifier and stopping the windows steaming up

I don't remember my 2002 L322 doing it but all 2007 on TDV8's do it and the later 2010 on facelifted ones too

My D3 would steam up if left on recycle  IIRC the manual stated don't do it for long periods.

We used to have a Honda civic that did this. If the vents were set to demist the air con came on automatically when you started the car (no fancy climate control involved). Drove me up the wall! I don't mind air con switching on when I switch to demist, but if I choose to turn it off it should stay off...

8 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

We used to have a Honda civic that did this. If the vents were set to demist the air con came on automatically when you started the car (no fancy climate control involved). Drove me up the wall! I don't mind air con switching on when I switch to demist, but if I choose to turn it off it should stay off...

But car aircon works by removing the moisture from the air so it demists quicker when on.

Technically a side effect of how it works, but yes, it does and it therefore makes some sense to turn it on when switching to demist.

What about if you just want cool air directed at your face? I usually have the screen vents on for this, without my hands getting blasted with cold air, and I don't usually want it cold enough to need air con unless it's hot outside.

I much prefer the system on my current car, which has a separate demist button which directs all air to the screen vents, activates air con and sets a minimum temperature and fan speed. Just turning on the screen vents is just... turning on the screen vents.

3 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Technically a side effect of how it works, but yes, it does and it therefore makes some sense to turn it on when switching to demist.

What about if you just want cool air directed at your face? I usually have the screen vents on for this, without my hands getting blasted with cold air, and I don't usually want it cold enough to need air con unless it's hot outside.

I much prefer the system on my current car, which has a separate demist button which directs all air to the screen vents, activates air con and sets a minimum temperature and fan speed. Just turning on the screen vents is just... turning on the screen vents.

Ah get it.