MOT fail, Rear LT230 output bearing change insitu.......

eds

My 200tdi 110 failed its MOT today by having loose nuts on the prop shaft. Went to tighten them and they spun at the parking brake hub. Planning on splitting the nuts with this tool....

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht246-nut-splitter-set/

Will this tool fit in place Mr experienced? And is this the best course of action to get the prop shaft off?

Then plan to remove rear output bearing of the transfer box (which the MOT tester suggested was the fault as he could wobble the whole hand brake drum) insitu without dropping the transfer box but I don't know if that is possible. Can someone confirm whether my plan of action is achievable or if I am making an error in planning. I really hope I don't have to take the transfer box out 😞

Will I definitely need a slide hammer to get the output shaft+bearing removed as I have seen on instructional videos? I've got pullers....

Thank you.........

Ed 🙂

western, most of the photos are broken?

I wouldn't waste money on the nut splitters, they likely wont go on in the limited space you have in the propshaft UJ. if it were me i'd  drill from the side on the flats or grind then off then replace from the rear once you have the drum off. Try not to damage the uj flange/spider.

I'll see if I can get Les to release his technical archive..... I spoke to him not long ago, he might be persuaded.

3 out of 4 of my nuts spin so looks like a bit of work ahead 😞

I won't bother with the nut splitters then, I was just hoping! Another thought was to try and grip the bolt and tighten the nuts to get it through its MOT then tackle the job at a more agreeable pace.

• Thanks 1

Heating the nut sounds easier..... I even thought, would it be mad to just chop the bolts off and sacrifice the prop for the amount of headache I might have.....

That is what I have learnt from the mechanic trade, get the job done quickly and buy a new part....

7 hours ago, eds said:

Heating the nut sounds easier..... I even thought, would it be mad to just chop the bolts off and sacrifice the prop for the amount of headache I might have.....

That is what I have learnt from the mechanic trade, get the job done quickly and buy a new part....

... because someone else pays !

Mo

I'm pretty sure a 115mm grinder won't fit . Have you considered drilling down the side of the bolt thread and into the end of the nut with progressively bigger drill bits until you can split it off with a good cold chisel ? 

Also might be worth fitting a new output shaft nyloc nut as they do give up and work loose .

Steve

I managed to do a temporary fix on the 3 loose nuts by gripping the tip of the bolts with a plumbers wrench and using an ultra thin 9/16af tappet spanner to get them tight. I will have to revisit the job asap as I am guessing the bolts have been damaged somewhat through movement as the nuts were extremely difficult to tighten. Had to force the plumbers wrench against the chassis to get the grip I needed which has mangled the bolt ends. I am hoping that is not an MOT fail so I might disguise the damage with some dirty grease......

When the time comes to do the job I'll drill the nuts and split them with a cold chisel I think.

I have ordered a 30mm nyloc too 🙂

Cheers