Diesel P38 fuelling issue

Blanco

In brief my P38 is now running (mostly) very well on a replacement engine with about 120k on it. Engine was in a few days before a big trip to the Isle of Mull, and it performed faultlessly until  the way home when it stuttered and died, Nanocom showed a fuelling issue fault logged, it started straight away and appeared to run well so we continued. All in all it happened a handful of times on the remainder of the journey.... not always bringing us to a stop, mostly it cleared and picked up again. I put it down to dirty fuel, put some Redex in the system and changed the new filter for a clean one. Since then it happened only a couple of times on local runs and I subsequently did a trip to Stonehaven near Aberdeen without any trouble at all. Cured I thought........... no!

Happened again yesterday and today, yesterday I was down to 1/4 tank (hoping the price would go down!) but now I have filled up and it still happened. 

In tank sender/pump unit isn't that old... filter is very fresh.... am I just being unlucky with diesel or does it indicate some other problem? Any thoughts or previous experience of similar appreciated.

Everything is pretty dry and air tight, with the engine out, everything was cleaned and new gaskets/washers  etc. I have checked fuel flow with a full tank, and when it drains down a bit I will check it again.

My thoughts at the moment are 1) an intermittant fault on the in tank supply pump made worse by low fuel level. or 2) some piece of dirt or debris stuck in the FIP which for some reason moves occasionally? It doesn't 'miss' on one or two cylinders it seems to completely lose pressure and die.

• 4 weeks later...

A little update, just in case anyone else has the same sort of issue. I read somewhere on another forum which I haven't found again yet an explanation of how a MAF issue can cause a similar symptom; I had kind of assumed that it would simply adopt the default fuel map and not cause fuel starvation, but apparently it is a possibility. Anyhow, just back from N.E. Scotland,. had the 'hiccup'  5 times on the road up before Christmas. The RR sat unused for the duration but just before coming back yesterday I took the MAF unit out, hosed it out with brake cleaner and then electrical contact cleaner and stuck it back in..... result..... absolutely faultless on the way home, 450 miles! Now I know it isn't necessarily conclusive but given the weather yesterday I was really pleased about that!