Series Door mounted mirrors

uninformed

Hey all

I’m going to mod my Series 2 door hinges to take mirrors mounted to them. I’m looking for the following information:

Does anyone have the larger 10x6 mirrors? Pics would be great and impressions of them in use.

Is there only one quality/maker in the 10x6?

Which are the better ones in 7x5?

How do the metal clips/attachment on the rear of the mirror head fair for rust etc?

I see there looks like a 7x5 with a more plastic attachment, again does anyone have these?

Is there a better quality arm or again are they pretty much all the same? 

See pics

Cheers 🍺

There are various 'mods' available, from installing Defender style door hinges (upper and lower, otherwise the pivot lines are not inline), to modifying the standard Series 2 hinges by welding on the mirror mounting plates that reproduce the original hinges of this design, which are no longer available.
Sometimes these hinges are referred to as Military, but while the Military may have made use of them, they were available to the Civilian market. IIRC the best parts diagram is in the 110 / 2B forward control listing. In this context do not read 110 as a Defender model.

There is a UK chap on the forum of the Series2Club who will undertake this modification for a modest sum, on an 'as required' basis. This does mean that the hole for the mirror stem can be drilled to the size to match the mirror arm you intend to use.
The cost of modification is modest, the cost of 'new' hinges is not.

The UK supplier of choice in terms of quality is probably Ashtree, who have a variety of mirror heads available. Using these will deal with the concern of visible rusty bits.

I cannot comment on size preferences / suitability.

Regards.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, David Sparkes said:

It was the M2000CE design I was thinking of being better quality.

Regards.

The mount on that particular model does not look to rotate in any direction except around the round mounting rod. The others look to rotate and gimble within themselves. I could be misisng something ??

27 minutes ago, uninformed said:

The mount on that particular model does not look to rotate in any direction except around the round mounting rod. The others look to rotate and gimble within themselves. I could be misisng something ??

No to me that looks to just clamp on a round rod, so length and rotation adjustment only is my guess.

Fortunately I have a 2000ce version to look at.

When I bought my ex-mil 109 the mirrors had the style of mount as per the M200, although they aren't Ashtree heads.
On the ~50 mile journey home they were a right pain, as even a 50mph draft on the A1 highway swung the mirror head on the stem.
I bought the 7x5 Ashtree M2000 mirrors via PartsGB, they also do 10x6 versions. I haven't installed them yet because of various other issues with the vehicle.
However, they were sitting in the spares box waiting to be fitted, so ...

The two screws holding the cap on screw into metal inserts in the large diameter 'tube' that goes between the cap and the back of the mirror head. The cap and the internal stucture of the 'tube' do clamp the head to the stem, and the rotation is only 'side to side'.
When these screws are fully removed the cap falls off, (as does the mirror head from the stem).
Revealed is a single screw inside the 'tube' that clamps the tube to the mirror head. The tube is long enough and wide enough that even my weak arthritic fingers can grasp the tube and pivot it on the curved shape on the back of the head. This allows up and down tilt movment of the head.

I do rather assume that the tightness of the single screw is a matter of judgement; tight enough to stop movement in use, but loose enough to allow adjustment. I see the relatively large diameter of the tube as giving enough surface area friction to resist 'movement in use' without the screw being so tight it prevents adjustment
As I say, I could just move the tube with the tightness set by the factory, and I will certainly install it initially without altering the screw tightness.

I don't have any pictures of this internal arrangement.

Looking again at the pictures on the Ashtree link I included in my previous post I can easily believe that the mirror head is the same in each case, it's the head to stem mounting which changes, M200 to M2000.

Regards

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, David Sparkes said:

Fortunately I have a 2000ce version to look at.

When I bought my ex-mil 109 the mirrors had the style of mount as per the M200, although they aren't Ashtree heads.
On the ~50 mile journey home they were a right pain, as even a 50mph draft on the A1 highway swung the mirror head on the stem.
I bought the 7x5 Ashtree M2000 mirrors via PartsGB, they also do 10x6 versions. I haven't installed them yet because of various other issues with the vehicle.
However, they were sitting in the spares box waiting to be fitted, so ...

The two screws holding the cap on screw into metal inserts in the large diameter 'tube' that goes between the cap and the back of the mirror head. The cap and the internal stucture of the 'tube' do clamp the head to the stem, and the rotation is only 'side to side'.
When these screws are fully removed the cap falls off, (as does the mirror head from the stem).
Revealed is a single screw inside the 'tube' that clamps the tube to the mirror head. The tube is long enough and wide enough that even my weak arthritic fingers can grasp the tube and pivot it on the curved shape on the back of the head. This allows up and down tilt movment of the head.

I do rather assume that the tightness of the single screw is a matter of judgement; tight enough to stop movement in use, but loose enough to allow adjustment. I see the relatively large diameter of the tube as giving enough surface area friction to resist 'movement in use' without the screw being so tight it prevents adjustment
As I say, I could just move the tube with the tightness set by the factory, and I will certainly install it initially without altering the screw tightness.

I don't have any pictures of this internal arrangement.

Looking again at the pictures on the Ashtree link I included in my previous post I can easily believe that the mirror head is the same in each case, it's the head to stem mounting which changes, M200 to M2000.

Regards

Good info David,

and taking a closer look on my desktop, the mount does indeed looks like it will gimble. 

cheers