JLR Q2 Losses

Anderzander

I am skeptical on the cleverness. Few companies can deliver cleverness and long term reliability with repairability.

It's no good saving on hydrocarbons when running a vehicle if you burn up the hydrocarbons saved every few years to manufacture new things because you can't fix the old one because it's too clever.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

5 hours ago, missingsid said:

Bah your biased!!!

Actually good info and eager to see the next installment.

Yup- I will be!!!!

Having had the oppurtunity to work on such a wide range of vehicles and system types has exposed me to the real engineering challanges and hopefully that means I have been able to pick up useful information to share!

• Like 2

I'm curious about that Hummer vs Prius paper. Where is the break point? Both papers talk about discrete mileage figures one arguing the Prius is too low and Hummer too high and vice versa. Someone could presumably model it as a sliding scale and at a certain point they will be equal and above/below that one will have the advantage? It sounds like there were other faults with the analysis though. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, reb78 said:

I'm curious about that Hummer vs Prius paper. Where is the break point? Both papers talk about discrete mileage figures one arguing the Prius is too low and Hummer too high and vice versa. Someone could presumably model it as a sliding scale and at a certain point they will be equal and above/below that one will have the advantage? It sounds like there were other faults with the analysis though. 

Not an accurate test but Top Gear thrashed a Pius and at 70 they claimed it had as bad mpg as an M3 at the same speed.

I was due to drive one today the length of the M4 but COVID stopped play otherwise I would have first hand info.

22 hours ago, Superpants said:

I have been meaning to write a proper reply......

Pfft, substantiated facts from an informed source? That'll never catch on!

In all seriousness, very interesting reading and looking forwards to hearing your views (and some facts if you must!) on hydrogen.

One question - you say the batteries are lasting the design life of the EV. What is that design life and how does it compare to current IC vehicles' design lives?

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 3:52 AM, missingsid said:

Not an accurate test but Top Gear thrashed a Pius and at 70 they claimed it had as bad mpg as an M3 at the same speed.

I was due to drive one today the length of the M4 but COVID stopped play otherwise I would have first hand info.

As I recall, the M series used a measurable amount less fuel over the distance driven hard around the track.  I thought it was an M5, not an M3, making it even more apparent how thirsty a Prius is, but I may be mistaken - it was a long time ago.

I like the idea of BEVs, and if it wasn’t for the cost, I’d be converting my 109.  It’s worth having a look on FB for Don Incol and his Lightweight and Dave Budge and his company “Jaunt”, which is using some of Don’s experience to make beautifully restored and converted SII and SIII EVs for hire to the public and tourists.  He plans to sell kits later, when they have built up a few of their own vehicles and ironed it all out.  Faster, quieter, smoother on the transmission, more torque, next to no maintenance…. What’s not to love?  They are retaining the gear box and transfer box.  Don made several videos showing how essential it is to keep them in most retrofit cases, not just for character reasons but also because you’d need an enormous and very expensive motor if you Don have reduction gears, but would top out at a low road speed if you just had the one ratio.  He shows it stalling on some steep hillocks in third low, proving the need for the full original transmission with reasonably sized motors, but that keeps the conversion easier too, anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

As I recall, the M series used a measurable amount less fuel over the distance driven hard around the track.  I thought it was an M5, not an M3, making it even more apparent how thirsty a Prius is, but I may be mistaken - it was a long time ago.

I like the idea of BEVs, and if it wasn’t for the cost, I’d be converting my 109.  It’s worth having a look on FB for Don Incol and his Lightweight and Dave Budge and his company “Jaunt”, which is using some of Don’s experience to make beautifully restored and converted SII and SIII EVs for hire to the public and tourists.  He plans to sell kits later, when they have built up a few of their own vehicles and ironed it all out.  Faster, quieter, smoother on the transmission, more torque, next to no maintenance…. What’s not to love?  They are retaining the gear box and transfer box.  Don made several videos showing how essential it is to keep them in most retrofit cases, not just for character reasons but also because you’d need an enormous and very expensive motor if you Don have reduction gears, but would top out at a low road speed if you just had the one ratio.  He shows it stalling on some steep hillocks in third low, proving the need for the full original transmission with reasonably sized motors, but that keeps the conversion easier too, anyway.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I would think (in my capacity as someone who knows very little about EVs!) that an 'off the shelf' kit could easily be made and sold if for all of the series and defender vehicles on here. Complexity would presumably increase in terms of what needs to talk to an ECU from the TD5 onwards. But, a motor of sufficient size, different 'engine' mount and bell/flywheel housing options to link it to various gearboxes, with associated batteries and the necessary control units for them (so its not a heath robinson set of wiring thrown together dangerously but more a kit to follow instructions and fit) could work quite well?

I asked ages back if it was as simple as bolting a motor to the gearbox and everyone said 'no, you dont need the gearbox', but what Snagger says above makes more sense to my brain, it might just be that some gears are rarely used but add a load more versatility when you do need them?

(plus i have 3 phase, so bunging a decent charging circuit in the yard on the outside of the workshed isnt a great issue!)

Edited by reb78

In answer to Reb, the guys running these converted SIIs and IIIs in Australia (they’re well ahead of the game there) find 3rd high good for road acceleration but very busy and speed limited, but 4th high gives a reasonable cruise with a standard transmission.  In road driving, they seem to only use 3rd and 4th.  That is using motors like the Netgear Hyper9 of transplant from the Nissan Leaf (a popular source for the entire system of motor, controller, charger, battery and BMS for conversions).  They’re still not driving wildly fast with those set ups, but should get comparable performance to a Tdi retrofit.  9” DC motors would seem to be the norm for these sorts of vehicle weights.  But they are insistent that the gear box is needed, especially for off-road or towing.

Many of these motors are sealed and would be better suited to wading than many ICE engines.  Tesla motors are used for some of the high end conversions, but they aren’t well sealed - look at the flood damaged vehicles seen and stripped in the Rich Rebuilds YouTube videos for proof of that.  So, you would need to be careful about what you specify.  I don’t know how well sealed the Nissan Leaf stuff is (I’d imagine fairly mediocre), but the Hyper9 is totally sealed.

I guess being able to use 4th a lot makes it easy on the gearbox.

I just think our vehicles in particular are going to be the easy ones to convert. There are places that batteries could be located without affecting any space inside the car at all and the engine bay lends itself to easy installation of a motor. If someone could invest in the R&D I would have thought there was a fairly large market in LR world (I mean old LR, not the new fangled disco/rr ranges...)?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

https://www.twistedautomotive.com/electric/?gclid=CjwKCAiAh_GNBhAHEiwAjOh3ZDeiQii0OoHqlF78YHKMOIBJFkDsQ7geVd-OU2TVJQQSGSt1iNeEuRoCQUkQAvD_BwE

Twisted have something already although I suspect the price will be well out of range of most people. There is no indication of price on the website

Haha. Yes, price is important. I thought £1000 was a lot for a 200tdi conversion back when they were common! I imagine its quite niche currently and will never be 'cheap' but hopefully will become affordable.