Webasto Thermotop C - problem and solution

Maverik

I fitted a Webasto thermotop C to my 90 probably the best part of 5 years ago at a guess.

Anyway it's been a superb addition and for 4-6 months of every year it would get used daily to warm the engine prior to using the truck.

So about 18 months ago it started to not start when asked, seemed a strange fault that was intermittent at first and has slowly got worse until the last 6 ish months it stopped all together meaning the fuel pump wasn't switching on, the unit would start up but would purge itself then stop.

So having checked a few things including the fuel pump, did some trouble shooting from some webasto literature and didn't really help.

So bought a service kit off ebay and pulled it out last night. 

There not a lot to them really, pulled the burner out and found a good quantity of what looked like burnt chrisps in the inner combustion area, pulled the glow plug and gave it all a good wire brush and popped it all back together.

Plugged it in and switched it on and it fired up straight away no problem.

Fixed.

It's interesting to note the glow plug I believe also acts a temp monitoring device once hot - the glow plug was very dirty with soot deposits.

I know there's some clever electronic control I also wonder if the carbon deposits where blocking the combustion fan inlet to burner and that fed back to the ecu... dunno.

Anyway if anyone is getting any problems with there webasto I'd advise they give it a good clean.

20211211_183917.jpg

20211211_185544.jpg

20211211_185556.jpg

R.jpeg