New Defender - Can it be used for overland travel?

• 1 year later...

You can overland in almost anything, even a Ferrari if you really want to.

Obviously it wouldn't be ideal, but it's been done. Most vehicles with 4wd will overland. Personally l would take our 2020 Jimny over my 2022 Defender because it's smaller, lighter, simpler and seems to cope better in mud, sand etc 

Edited by Lightning
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

One year later

Yep, just re joined the forum! I left when l sold my old Defender but re joined to rabbit about the new one. As there is a section of the forum dedicated to the new "Pretender"

And if the insurance scare on new Defenders comes to fruition l will be out of it and back in an old Defender probably a 2.2TDCi.

Friend just had to sell her new Defender as the insurance renewal went up to £3,000 
I won't know until October when my renewal comes through.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lightning said:

One year later

Yep, just re joined the forum! I left when l sold my old Defender but re joined to rabbit about the new one. As there is a section of the forum dedicated to the new "Pretender"

And if the insurance scare on new Defenders comes to fruition l will be out of it and back in an old Defender probably a 2.2TDCi.

Friend just had to sell her new Defender as the insurance renewal went up to £3,000 
I won't know until October when my renewal comes through.

What was she paying to insure the vehicle prior to the price increase?

With the 6 speed box on the Puma, it’s worth checking the history to see if the intermediate shaft in the adapter between the main and transfer box has ever failed and / or been replaced.  

General thefts of Range Rovers particularly in London and thefts of Land Rovers generally being particularly high.

Some insurance brokers are refusing to renew policies at all.

The friend was previously paying £1300. My premium last year was £300. Putting the Defender in as a new quote last month resulted in a quote of £730. This month it was £1,050

Edited by Lightning

That is terrible!  I suppose it is to be expected when we have a police force more keen on kneeling to factions, painting their patrol cars with rainbows and threatening pensioners of social media posts than arresting thieves and violent criminals.  The UK justice system seems to be following the footsteps of the US west coast, disaster to disaster. 😔

Vehicle theft is at epidemic levels, around ten Range Rovers stolen in the London area every DAY apparently, and that's just Range Rovers.

Apparently the issue is, the actual ringleaders are often in Eastern Europe and not traceable, all we catch are the "drones" sent over to steal vehicles. Then they just send more. These "drones" are paid £1,000 every vehicle they steal.

So plenty of volunteers. When they are caught they are often bailed and disappear.

The vehicles leave the country in containers, which apparently can't be checked as there are too many.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a solution.

Edited by Lightning

4 hours ago, Lightning said:

Vehicle theft is at epidemic levels, around ten Range Rovers stolen in the London area every DAY apparently, and that's just Range Rovers.

Apparently the issue is, the actual ringleaders are often in Eastern Europe and not traceable, all we catch are the "drones" sent over to steal vehicles. Then they just send more. These "drones" are paid £1,000 every vehicle they steal.

So plenty of volunteers. When they are caught they are often bailed and disappear.

The vehicles leave the country in containers, which apparently can't be checked as there are too many.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a solution.

There is a solution, but European politicians and judiciary are too weak for it.  People here routinely leave cars running for the AC while they go into shops, and yet there are almost no thefts.  You can leave your phone on the table in a bar and it won’t go anywhere.  It’s not crime-free, but it is a very low crime environment because the prisons are awful and the police don’t mess about.  But in the UK, the police do nothing even if you give them crystal clear CCTV of an unmasked face, a name and address and product serial numbers, and even if they are embarrasses into doing something, the judiciary let them go.  Case in point - the woman who camped outside a bike thief’s home for three days, as told in the Telegraph today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of the problem is manufacturers (not only Land Rover) making new cars so easy to steal.  Keyless entry & keyless start are the main problem.  Only now, after years of thefts are the manufacturers adding Time of Flight measurement - so it works out how far the keyfob is from the car.  Unfortunately, they've only done a half-a***d job of this as there's already a very simple exploit that defeats it.

I saw this myself a few weeks ago with a guy in a supermarket car park wondering where his new (I think it was a Bentley) had gone.  They must have wandered around the store with the repeater while someone outside just waited for a car to unlock.

It's only a shame all Land Rovers of all ages are seemingly lumped together as being a high insurance risk.  The last generation (Disco & RR) before keyless are apparently very hard to steal - but still the premiums are increasing.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, simonr said:

A lot of the problem is manufacturers (not only Land Rover) making new cars so easy to steal.  Keyless entry & keyless start are the main problem.  Only now, after years of thefts are the manufacturers adding Time of Flight measurement - so it works out how far the keyfob is from the car.  Unfortunately, they've only done a half-a***d job of this as there's already a very simple exploit that defeats it.

I saw this myself a few weeks ago with a guy in a supermarket car park wondering where his new (I think it was a Bentley) had gone.  They must have wandered around the store with the repeater while someone outside just waited for a car to unlock.

It's only a shame all Land Rovers of all ages are seemingly lumped together as being a high insurance risk.  The last generation (Disco & RR) before keyless are apparently very hard to steal - but still the premiums are increasing.

When parked at home, I always make sure to disable my GLE's key, it's a double tap on the lock button. No risk of replay attacks then.

I'm guessing the same is possible on a modern Land Rover?

Yes it can be disabled.

But few do it. l am still surprised on the "stolen" sites such as "Landywatch" how few had any extra security fitted.

You would think that by now, everyone would have some extra security devices fitted but many still don't. 

One owner left their late model 110 under a tree for weeks and l quote "it was greened up" and then they were surprised when it got pinched. When l suggested they might have made more effort to secure it, l got a bollocking online from them.

Edited by Lightning

In Albania we have been playing “spot the UK registration plate”. It’s easy. The drivers are definitely not on holiday. I checked a RR and it is taxed and tested until 3/24. Checked another car and it was due last year.

I talk with locals if I can and one old guy proudly showed me his car sporting a UK plate.

There’s hundreds of cars in forecourts that are being slowly stripped or waiting to supply particular parts. Lots have UK plates on.

I am sure that some have been brought over legitimately but those that haven’t have got through border checks but then are lost in this melée of cars, SUVs, vans and trucks. 

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...