How to dismantle a 1997 V8 Disco

Phill S

I have probably broken twenty 200 / 300 discos over the years. Never once did I take the body off. 

Realisitically, don’t think I ever sold any body panels or interior parts, no-one wanted them -I broke four ES models which had the full leather and electric seats with separate headrests and they went for scrap too. although admittedly this may have changed as it’s a few years since I last did one.

Front and Rear axles used to sell, as did alloy wheels and wheelnuts if they were Freestyle, Deepdish or Boost types; if not I would just weigh in the rims. The newer style radius arms / trailing arms were saleable. Steering boxes I kept (the 4 bolt type can be rebuilt cheaply and the shaft ground and chromed). gearboxes / torque converters / shifters and transfer boxes I generally sold on to Ashcroft transmissions for rebuilding as I couldn’t be doing with the hassle.

The front axle if rebuilt and used in conjunction with the newer radius arms would be a good upgrade on your 110 axle with 24 spline diff and newer type swivel parts with better / cheaper availability in the future.

Edited by oneandtwo

Ok - I've put a suitably nebulous ad in the For Sale section. My list of what I think I'm keeping is:

1. Engine, gearbox, transfer box and maybe propshafts
  2. Exhaust - probably/possibly
  3. Wiring loom
  4. Instruments and switches
  5. Radio and speakers
  6. Cruise control system
  7. Front seats
  8. Steering box
  9. Front springs
  10. Chassis engine mounts

Did I miss anything?

Hopefully the job starts back end of next week...

52 minutes ago, Phill S said:

Ok - I've put a suitably nebulous ad in the For Sale section. My list of what I think I'm keeping is:

1. Engine, gearbox, transfer box and maybe propshafts
  2. Exhaust - probably/possibly
  3. Wiring loom
  4. Instruments and switches
  5. Radio and speakers
  6. Cruise control system
  7. Front seats
  8. Steering box
  9. Front springs
  10. Chassis engine mounts

Did I miss anything?

Hopefully the job starts back end of next week...

Front axle!!! You may be glad of it one day. They bend easier than you think.

19 minutes ago, oneandtwo said:

Front axle!!! You may be glad of it one day

Sorry, my previous response was a little ungracious - read disappointment. Actually, thank you for taking the time to list what might be of value. If it comes to it, I assume a scrappy would/should have the wherewithal these days to come and pick up a body/chassis sans axles and wheels. might have to go that route if there's no interest. I'll call my local scrappy when they open again next week

Axle thing noted, although I won't be doing any of what the serious off-roading guys would call serious off-roading, more like remote mountain tracks with a rubble surface and the more inaccessible places. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard. And all that. I'll ponder axles but a place to store would be my problem.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

D1s are more sought after nowadays, however...

I guess we'll feel a pulse on that when/if I get a response to my ad in the For Sale section...

Mind you, you can't get much further west than me, and that will put most people off!

5 hours ago, steve b said:

Auto cooler and pipes to either use for R380

Now that's interesting - is the cooler plumbing the same for both boxes? Pipes and couplings?

Is there a parts book online anywhere? So's I can cross-reference with the 110 one. I've only been able to turn up a US version that isn't exactly comprehensive

I doubt the auto cooler & pipes would get near bolting to an R380, and the R380 needs a special takeoff plate for a cooler... it also doesn't really need extra cooling, you're just adding plumbing which means more things to leak or go wrong.

I think I already said keep the front half of the Disco exhaust system to the join at the back of the transfer box, you may even find it bolts to the back half of the Defender system... if not it will get really close.

57 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I think I already said keep the front half of the Disco exhaust system

I confess I'm slightly suffering from information overload! Think it was following your comment I first wandered into the link above...

Ok, it's been a steep learning curve for me, but I believe I'm getting there on the major components list. Not a peep on my ad for the rolling chassis in the for sale section, so reality suggests there's a high probability of the scrap man coming to take it away.

So when the vehicle gets here I'll probably set about stripping everything potentially saleable. I need to get some money back to put into the project! Things like door cards and headlining all look good, but I think I'll need special tools to prise out all those horrible plastic pop in/out rivet things etc? I'd be pleased to get any advice on those so I can get them ordered in and try to keep everything as posh as possible. not just gouged out with a screwdriver.

Probably my last attempt at listing major components I'll be wanting (or might want!) for my 110 V8 transplant project until it gets here:

• Engine, gearbox, transfer box and maybe propshafts
  • Air and fuel supply systems
  • Exhaust - probably/possibly
  • Wiring loom
  • Instruments and switches
  • Radio and speakers
  • Cruise control system
  • Front seats
  • Steering box
  • Front springs
  • Chassis engine mounts
  • Chassis cross member
  • Axles

There'll be 1001 "just in case" bits, anything else of value I'll stash and (attempt to) sell. I'll post [ics of the dismantling 

And finally of course:

15 hours ago, Phill S said:

Is there a parts book online anywhere? So's I can cross-reference with the 110 one. I've only been able to turn up a US version that isn't exactly comprehensive

Have a as great a New Years Eve as you can one and all!

Hey - that's a real treasure trove of material, much more than I was hoping for. Many thanks all!

It's going to be a reading sort of day. Except, apparently, I have to go an walk off some festive lard this afternoon. And watch Dr Zhivago this evening. Hey-ho

Happy New Year all

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - read all of that lot...

The "Body Repair Manual" refers to "ELECTRICAL, Repair" which appears to be a different manual to the troubleshooting ones. Tells you how to take the instrument binnacle out, radio etc etc. Can anybody provide a pointer to that? Defeated once again   :-{

Disco donor should be with me on Friday

Quiz time!

1) What is the gold coloured thing on the bulkhead, left in the pic, and...

2) the black thing with the rubber cap to the right. Is this one an impact sensor for airbag and/or fuel cut off?

20220120_134947.thumb.jpg.5d89cbbef8a4b986dac2de9a7ed2db77.jpg

3) Draining the coolant. Does this look like OAT to you?

20220120_140323.thumb.jpg.f93e031af4b69c95c9cf03fe0eda75d6.jpg

45 minutes ago, Phill S said:

1) What is the gold coloured thing on the bulkhead, left in the pic, and...

2) the black thing with the rubber cap to the right. Is this one an impact sensor for airbag and/or fuel cut off?

1) Resistor for low-z injectors?

2) That's the inertia switch yes, fuel cut off in case of an accident.

• Like 1