New years day greenlane

Escape

Since the Brooklands Classic Car gathering was canceled, I was looking for some other excuse to be in and around cars. Talked to a couple of mates and they didn't need much convincing to take the Land Rovers out.

I gave the new-to-me Lightweight ('Tommy') a proper shakedown, after getting him in to shape again over christmas. There was also a RRC VM in good shape and with an experienced driver, on muds and with a rear locker (our dedicated tow car) and a newbie owner eager to take her Classic V8 off road. She was so motivated she showed up early at the Workshop to replace the failing alternator before venturing out.

I'm hoping the others will send me some more pics and videos, at the moment I only have my passage of the hardest part. The Lightweight made it look deceptively easy! Very impressed with the performance, even if it takes some getting used to (jumped out of 4x4 once and I couldn't understand why I was struggling on a gentle grass slope...).

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm surprised how well everything works. The car is ex-NATO (so LHD) and had been restored over several years by a previous owner, but never driven. Other projects (and marital pressure) saw it come up for sale and a friend of mine bought it. We needed to do a bit of work on the mechanicals to allow for reliable use and she chose the name Tommy. Unfortunately after just a few trips, Tommy was put into damp storage for over a year, to end up in the Workshop again. Not without a fight, I planned to just drive it home (not even 10 miles), but found both the clutch and the brakes were stuck. Cue a run with the trailer.

80338499_2021-12-2114_51_57r.jpg.9cec4ea55c4f373120a054a7d835e867.jpg

The engine did fire easily enough and runs smoothly, so I could drive him out of the shed and onto the trailer by starting in gear (low range). Not much more needed to free the brakes and with nothing else to do over christmas (the unfinished Range Rover shall not be mentioned...) I took out the box, cleaned up the clutch plate that was properly stuck on and put everything together again. He was running again before the heavy metal top 100 playlist was finished. 🙂
Just a bit more work on the steering was needed: properly tightening all the bolts has reduced the play to acceptable levels. And yesterday morning some final tweeks to the carburetor before we were off. He didn't miss a beat!

The idea is to sell him on, but I'll make sure the asking price is high enough so I'll get some more driving time first. 🙂 

Filip

• Like 3