300tdi into 19J bay

JST

1. will a disco R380 fit straight into the space left by an LT77 in a defender? i think it will but i then need to source a new remote as the disco one will bein th wrong place, but grateful for replies/confirmation of this

2. will a 300tdi bolt straight onto an LT77 defender bellhousing that used to have a 19J attached?

i am aware of the engine mounts/intercooler and other associated bits that need to be done jsut not sure on the physical joining of the 300 to the 77.

cheers in advance

1. Physically yes, but changing the short stick (disco) R380 to a long stick (defender) R380 I believe is quite involved and involves a partial strip of the gearbox.

2. Yes, but you may need to remove the back plate from the 19J and fit it to the 300TDi. Or leave a few studs off.... (I think...standing by to be corrected)

I did defender R380 and Disco 300Tdi into my 90, which originally had the 19J...

2. will a 300tdi bolt straight onto an LT77 defender bellhousing that used to have a 19J attached?

No,a few of the bolts are wrong.I fitted 300 to defender lt77 by fitting a 19j flywheel housing to the 300 - it all bolts up nice then.

But what are you trying to do?...connect a disco r380 to a 300 tdi with a defender lt77 bell housing?

That wont work.Surely the disco r380 has a longer input shaft than the defender lt77,so you would have to use the r380 bell housing as well.And you've still got the lever in the wrong place.

Use the whole 300/380 complete,

or fit a defender lt77,

or try and find a short input shaft r380.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick!

cheers for the responses,

Jericho, Q2 was assuming that the presumed answer to Q1 was corret.

i am/will be fitting a 300tdi to a def LT77 and now as pointed out will take the TD flyhweel housing off the TD and stick that on the back of the tdi priro to fit.

Ok,just to add,the 300tdi rear crank seal it set in its own mounting plate,whereas all earlier deisel engines had the rear crank seal set in the flywheel housing.

So you will also need to remove the 300 tdi rear crank seal plate,and fit a new seal to the 19j flywheel housing.

I actually did it by leaving the 300 tdi crank seal plate in place,and cutting a hole out of the 19j flywheel housing so it would fit over;but i think i was just making hard work of it.

When I fitted the 300Tdi to my former 19j 90 we just bolted it straight onto the existing LT77. We had to re-drill a couple of holes and a couple of studs would not align but, it's been in there for 2 years now with no problems. ISTR someone on the "old" forum did the same thing which is where I got the idea from.

Rgds

Ivan