Small query

Nonimouse

Thanks folks - yep, I'd managed to find the fixings themselves, just no luck with the tool. 

Stellaghost - found that, ta. Not the cheapest, but I know there's a few times you look at something and umm and ah about the price; then you buy it; and then when you need to use it, it pays for itself twice over. I've always wondered about a riveter like that, instead of the one handed gun type. This could be the time. Learnt something today. Ta. 

13 minutes ago, Northwards said:

Thanks folks - yep, I'd managed to find the fixings themselves, just no luck with the tool. 

Stellaghost - found that, ta. Not the cheapest, but I know there's a few times you look at something and umm and ah about the price; then you buy it; and then when you need to use it, it pays for itself twice over. I've always wondered about a riveter like that, instead of the one handed gun type. This could be the time. Learnt something today. Ta. 

It was £80 when I bought it, before that I had an Eclipse rivet nut tool like the one handed pop riveter but always found it difficult to apply enough pressure to tighten the fasteners to a point that I was happy with, this tool makes it a doddle and is my go to for riveting, just be aware it has its limitations in hard to access areas regards Stephen

The flimsy low quality (and very low-profile) rivnuts that often come with rivnut tools are junk, you need the decent industrial types with large flanged heads and a decent tool to pull them up tight - I always copperslip or moly grease the mandrel on the tool so that it undoes easily and leaves the rivnut slippy for the actual fastener.

You can get rivnuts with a hexagonal body too, those will resist rotation even if they lose some grip.

The air powered rivnut tools are a thing of magnificence but the price tag is breathtaking.

6 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The air powered rivnut tools are a thing of magnificence but the price tag is breathtaking.

I see what you mean, although there are quite a few under £100 if you look about, only question is how good, reliable and long living are they regards Stephen

On 2/5/2022 at 4:19 PM, Stellaghost said:

I see what you mean, although there are quite a few under £100 if you look about, only question is how good, reliable and long living are they regards Stephen

The el cheapo electric ones are not worth the scrap they are made of.  Tried a few, binned ore.  I find a hand setter to be the best for both rivets and studs.  A cheap hand power one is infinitely better that the cheap electric ones